2020 Finals Vote for CAP/DH/Draft Order

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

mighty moose

Re: 2020 Finals Vote for CAP/DH/Draft Order

PostSun Feb 14, 2021 8:23 pm

Let's get everybody loaded and the draft order adjusted, then we can look into what people prefer as a start date. I recall people saying last year that "having no clock was a bad idea" some were away for 18 hours or more at a time. "Proxies ran out" etc etc. Still trying to perfect SOM's live draft options and everyone's needs to want things "my way".

No one penalizes "anyone" because everybody plays under the same rules. You screw up you penalize yourself.

mighty moose

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 1:56 pm

Here are the randomized divisions.
east

Point Dume Barnstormers (Owner: RiggoDrill)
Southlake Pioneers 111 (Owner: bk7171)
Acme Coyotes (Owner: Goreds54)
Windy City Whippets (Owner: BDWard)

central

Tomsk Gold (Owner: BruceF)
Helsinki Glögg Guzzlers (Owner: sjudd)
Stadium Rooters (Owner: labratory)
Cienfuegos Elefantes (Owner: dinsdale)

west

Illinois Governors (Owner: Dougess)
LA Sluggers (Owner: freeman)
Minnesota Frostbiters (Owner: garyclausen01)
Grazoontite Tide (Owner: grazoontite)

mighty moose

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 2:14 pm

SOM has been advised to put the correct draft order in. I will be presenting the preferences of start date here (of those who actually cared to answer) next.

mighty moose

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 2:35 pm

grazoontite - immediately
labratory - prefer 3/1
RiggoDrill - 2/22 but either is okay
garyclausen01 - either
bk7171 - prefer 3/1 is travelling on 2/22
BruceF - prefer 2/22
Goreds54 - Preference would be 2/22
BDWard - prefer 2/22 but either
sjudd - 2/22 is better than 3/1
Dougess - 2/22 sooner is better
freeman - no reply
dinsdale - either date is okay

As you can see, the life of a commish is complex.

I will leave this sit out there and stew a while, until I hear back that the draft order is ready.

Goreds54

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 3:18 pm

Immediately, 2/22 or 3/1 all will work for me. Preference would be 2/22.

mighty moose

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 3:43 pm

BTW - the Semi-Finalists who won and will now be in the Finals WERE given a credit by SOM (and I know they got credits for winning their Championship - I was just trying to play dumb :mrgreen: ) But anyway, to quote a show I used to watch a lot "let's be careful out there" with regards to the credit card issue. The world is a dangerous place. I am glad to see in that other thread over in ATG that others are telling how they stay safe - (paypal - etc). I don't play anymore so I wasn't affected but it certainly raised a lot of red flags for us all.

BDWard

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 5:21 pm

Congrats to Dougess, freeman and dinsdale on making the Finals. I'm especially happy that Dougess made the Finals, as he made the playoffs in all 6 qualifying leagues and finished 11th with 509 points, 2 points from qualifying for the top 9. It seemed a bit unjust that a manager would make the playoffs in all 6 qualifying leagues, but not make the Finals. Poor nwelter, who finished 10th with 510 points, missing the Finals by just a point, not only was in the same Semis league with Dougess, but was stuck in the same division! That, too, seems a bit unjust. It would be more fair to assign the Semis managers to leagues based on a seeding process, or at least to put the 10-12 finishers in separate Semis leagues.

Regarding the start date of the Finals draft, only 2 of the 11 managers who responded prefer to start 3/1. The other managers either prefer to start 2/22 or ASAP, with some managers saying either date is OK.

My biggest concern regarding the start date is that no manager be put at a disadvantage because of a scheduling conflict. Based on Moose's post, the only manager who indicated there was a conflict is bk7171, who stated to Moose that he was traveling on 2/22.

Usually the first few rounds of the draft are the slowest. Nonetheless, last year's Finals draft was completed in 2 days.

In this electronic age, none of us is without internet access, even when traveling. Would it be possible to accommodate bk7171's schedule along with the desire of the vast majority of league members who prefer an early start to the draft by starting the draft on 2/22 with no clock, which can be turned on once bk7171 is done traveling? Although I don't know his travel itinerary, my guess is that bk7171 would be able to check in from time to time on 2/22 to make draft picks.

Also, if that's not feasible, how about starting the draft on 2/23, or when bk7171 is done traveling? If the draft starts on 2/23 and concludes on Thursday, 2/25 after 3 days of drafting, that would leave managers with the better part of 4 days to tweak their teams before the season opens Monday night on 3/1. Since it's a live draft, with managers not getting stuck with unwanted players as in the autodraft, 3 or 4 days should be more than enough time to tweak a team for the start of the season.

mighty moose

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 5:40 pm

I have sent Brian an email to come in here and comment on his travelling schedule.

grazoontite

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 5:57 pm

Isn't the simple fix just to start the draft today, and we all agree that the clock is off for the entire draft? That way anyone traveling (like me in March) can pick at our leisure and not be disadvantaged? If we just start the draft today we will be done by March 8th easily, which is better that we could do under any other option. It is the finals, who cares if the draft takes 3 weeks to complete. That is part of the allure. Just my 2 cents. I travel the entire first 2 weeks of March, and I'll make anything work, but why all the hang up over 1 hour clock and starting on a specific date? Doesn't make much sense to a newbie like myself. Clock off is the most fair way to do it, so we don't disadvantage anyone. Everyone just picks at his leisure.

BruceF

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 6:10 pm

Agreed. Start ASAP with no clock. Someone in the group will always be traveling.
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour