• Author

The Last Druid

Re: Can Managers Have Multiple Entries to 2020 Barnstormers

PostSun May 24, 2020 6:29 pm

Stratified seeding:

East would be the managers who finished 1, 4, 7, 10
The Central would be 2, 5, 8, 11
The West would be 3, 6, 9 12.

The stratified approach avoids what happened in the last two finals. In the recently concluded final the West was comprised of the managers who finished 3, 4, 5, 6. The year before when I won, the East was made up of managers who finished 1, 4, 5, 6. Each of the past two years, the wild card came from the stacked division, which would have been a travesty had it not since those divisions were much stronger than the others.

Chompsky

PostSun May 24, 2020 7:51 pm

I like TLD's stratified seeding concept. Makes sense to me.

I like the idea of invitations to each league (except maybe during the first round) even more. It has the benefit of not leaving those who are playing it straight without feeling they are getting gamed. And it has the benefit of not allowing those who are tempted to game the league entries...to fall prey to such temptation.

mighty moose

PostSun May 24, 2020 8:53 pm

"Seeding" isn't really something that I am looking to address right now. I was more looking for input on the INVITATION feature and what options we can request in it. I mentioned check boxes for RANDOMIZE the league and being able to "assign" a player to a division. SOM already confirmed that we can use email addresses AND OR SOM user name. So email addresses that everyone has registered to their SOM name is important.

For those of you who make theme leagues, try to come up with what else we want to see in this feature. SOM presented this to me while we were discussing the difficulties that the WRONG default set caused so clearly the team that you use to create the league would automatically eliminate the need for you to define your set and point people to it. Useful for "unleashed" AL/NL / Pre-Post - ANY set that isn't the norm. This would be a VERY useful tool for theme leagues of any kind. Needs testing.

freeman

PostSun May 24, 2020 8:55 pm

I have never understood cherry-picking, sandbagging and other ways to game the system. We shouldnt even have to defend against that sort of stuff. But there are always people to whom winning no matter how is the important thing whereas to me it's not really winning if you manipulate things so the competition is weaker or, in this case, arent even using your skill to play the game. I guess I could understand it more if real money were involved (not that I would do it or condone it). Whether it's sports, fantasy baseball...or strat...just tell me where to show up and I do my best. The pride comes from using my skill to win on a level playing field. If I manipulate things to get an easy division.
or copy someone else's ideas..wheres the satisfaction in that?

hallerose

PostTue May 26, 2020 9:02 am

The Last Druid wrote:Stratified seeding:

East would be the managers who finished 1, 4, 7, 10
The Central would be 2, 5, 8, 11
The West would be 3, 6, 9 12.

The stratified approach avoids what happened in the last two finals. In the recently concluded final the West was comprised of the managers who finished 3, 4, 5, 6. The year before when I won, the East was made up of managers who finished 1, 4, 5, 6. Each of the past two years, the wild card came from the stacked division, which would have been a travesty had it not since those divisions were much stronger than the others.

We are running the mystery card barnstormers finals right now with a seeded finals:
East: 1/6/7/12
Central: 2/5/8/11
West: 3/4/9/10

murf4

PostSun May 31, 2020 9:57 am

I agree with freeman completely... If winning is all that matters even over integrity there is a problem. I like both moose's randomization idea and I also like the idea of some kind of seeding approach...either one could eliminated players cherry picking...This is my first barn stormers so its all new to me...but so far I have been enjoying it... no matter the out come I have learned plenty about the game and my skills as a manager ...thanks for that murf :D

ScumbyJr

PostTue Jun 02, 2020 10:08 am

fowldawg wrote:Looking at Riggo's first team, Rangr is in the same division and doing terrible. It might have more to do with copying success than them being the same person.

Yes, rangrfan tried copying Riggo's team. Rangrfan's event 1 team is using Tiger Stadium 75' with that lineup? Cherries are ripe on that tree no matter who is doing the picking.

freeman

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 11:59 am

So far it doesnt seem to be working...Ranger is 7-11. Theyre not exactly the same teams---the "new team" has 8 different players but with the exception of F. Smith (8.69) for McNally (8.73) none of the players that are different cost more than 1.10.

JimmyJames209

PostSat Jun 20, 2020 5:05 pm

The Mystery Tournament does random. We get our league # and password. Loved it.
Previous

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour