Barnstormers 2020 - expanded Semi-Finals now with Prizes

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

mighty moose

Re: Barnstormers 2020 - expanded Semi-Finals now with Prizes

PostTue May 05, 2020 8:47 pm

egvrich wrote:Top 10 make it and next 24 compete in two 12 team leagues. Just thinking aloud that's all.

:?: :!: :idea:

With 240 players in the tour, how does only 34 advancing give people incentive to keep playing after they are on a sinking ship after 3 rounds ?

egvrich

PostWed May 06, 2020 12:19 pm

mighty moose wrote:
egvrich wrote:Top 10 make it and next 24 compete in two 12 team leagues. Just thinking aloud that's all.

:?: :!: :idea:

With 240 players in the tour, how does only 34 advancing give people incentive to keep playing after they are on a sinking ship after 3 rounds ?

Yep, you are right Moose and you won't have players joining next year either. It's a delicate balancing act and there probably isn't a right or wrong answer. So you try to walk the tightrope and make as many people as possible happy.

Like I said just bouncing ideas around aloud ... What about a seeded tournament after the 6 game tourney ends?

Top 3-6 advance. Remaining teams in the top 12 goes into a league against the lowest seeded remaining qualifiers.

Example: Top 6 advance, #7 seed goes into a 12 team league with #100-111 seeds (or whatever the math ends up, you get the idea), and it would continue on down to the #12 seed playing in a 12 team leageue against #13-23 seeded players.

The top seeds would clearly be the favorite but more people would have a shot. I dunno, maybe a totally stupid idea.

LIke I said I don't think there even is a right or wrong. Not going to change my participation, just tossing out ideas.

STEVE F

PostWed May 06, 2020 12:39 pm

The way it was set up last year was just about a perfect balance, I thought. The prospect of finishing 10th and still having to be thrown into a 24 team "lottery" is unpalatable to me.

mighty moose

PostWed May 06, 2020 1:26 pm

And it was a perfect balance until we reached 240 participants. When we went from 150 to 240, that's what changed the whole post season experience. I pitched to SOM a "junior or secondary tour" where we could put all green newbies and selected "frequent bottom half of the tour" players.

SOM would not approve duplicate or near duplicate prizes. In fact that's been the most frustrating part of our increase in players. SOM not increasing the prizes to a level that I felt was necessary. What did we get ? 6 windows games and more credits which cost them nothing. Very disappointed in what we ended up with, but I suppose all these newbies will drop out quickly. We can reevaluate from year to year.

freeman

PostWed May 06, 2020 10:32 pm

How about Top Six get byes...and the remaining six get in by winning one of six 12 team leagues?

egvrich

PostThu May 07, 2020 9:55 am

freeman wrote:How about Top Six get byes...and the remaining six get in by winning one of six 12 team leagues?

Ummmm ... I think that's the same thing I suggested 3 posts up ... :lol:

Great minds think alike, unfortunately sometimes so do flawed minds. :?

freeman

PostThu May 07, 2020 6:00 pm

You're right. I skimmed prior proposals but you would have to carefully read your proposal. You first said 3-6 advance and then the math was off (there would only be 78 qualifiers) and you did not start off with it. You cant really miss what I'm proposing. When I write a brief for a judge, I cut things down into easily digestible content...

But you get credit for the idea. And I think it's a pretty good one. The downside is that top 7-9 would not get byes and there would be three fewer qualifiers. The upside is 69 players would have a fairer chance to get into the finals...

Semper Gumby

PostThu May 07, 2020 10:15 pm

Don't talk about playoffs! You kiddin' me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! :lol:

Chompsky

PostFri May 08, 2020 7:36 am

Semper--I was thinking the same thing while reading the thread!!! Very funny.

Let me win as many as a I lose is the main goal. I'm already thinking of dropping a bunch of my players which I know is probably unwise.

BrookeBryce911

PostFri May 08, 2020 10:33 am

mighty moose wrote:And it was a perfect balance until we reached 240 participants. When we went from 150 to 240, that's what changed the whole post season experience. I pitched to SOM a "junior or secondary tour" where we could put all green newbies and selected "frequent bottom half of the tour" players.

SOM would not approve duplicate or near duplicate prizes. In fact that's been the most frustrating part of our increase in players. SOM not increasing the prizes to a level that I felt was necessary. What did we get ? 6 windows games and more credits which cost them nothing. Very disappointed in what we ended up with, but I suppose all these newbies will drop out quickly. We can reevaluate from year to year.

[quote]but I suppose all these newbies will drop out quickly

What?? Come on man have a little faith in the newbies!
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour