2018 BS Finals "Discussion" Thread

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

The Last Druid

Re: 2018 BS Finals "Discussion" Thread

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 6:27 pm

Here is an active team of mine with Joyce. https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1504420

hallerose

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 6:41 pm

cristano1 wrote:i’ve never used joyce before. since he’s your player do you recommend DH or 3B for that boy.

I don't like that defense at 3b for $100M. He also has a lot of BPHRs for a "small" ball ballpark.

cristano1

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 7:11 pm

small ball ballpark? im lefty mashers... best thing about the shift to large SP this year is i can run with 9 lefties and no one can/will call me on that

The Last Druid

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 7:41 pm

More like lefty pea shooters than lefty mashers.

cristano1

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 7:59 pm

Only Heredia and Klip can keep my team honest. I will roll the dice, unless both land in my division, I will trot out 9 lefty batters.

STEVE F

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 8:13 pm

cristano1 wrote:Only Heredia and Klip can keep my team honest. I will roll the dice, unless both land in my division, I will trot out 9 lefty batters.

What about Kershaw?

The Last Druid

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 8:21 pm

Cristano is a bit given to hyperbole, often employed in the service of hoping to misdirect opponents. Such as his recent statement about Duren being a 10th round pick. Everyone should have at least a couple of starters to discomfort lefties given that Cristano and tmfw30 and Lab are going lefty. Hallerose and djmacb are going small for sure. Mesquiton is going righty and I am leaning that way currently. Haven't analyzed the others deeply yet but my overall impression of their drafts so far that none of those teams is particularly dangerous at this point. Anyway, Cristano may have bitten off more than he can chew this time. It is an interesting strategy though. If he pulls it off he looks like a genius, if not, well just some bad luck in the early draft. I believe he sees it as a win-win reputation wise. A lot depends on the divisions though. Right now I would predict that Lab, djmacb and hallerose are likely to make the semi's. Modesty, of course, precludes me from including myself in that assessment. 8-)

hallerose

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 8:40 pm

cristano1 wrote:small ball ballpark? im lefty mashers... best thing about the shift to large SP this year is i can run with 9 lefties and no one can/will call me on that

I added Joyce hoping to use him in small ball ballparks -- where I prefer to play at these caps. He should be a fine DH in a lefty mashers park. Too bad of defense and too many BPHRs to use him that much on a small ball team.

cristano1

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 9:44 pm

ill make sure it isn’t a win win reputation wise. i’ll state that (without in depth analysis yet) i’ve drafted a +150 run differential team. pure eyeballing i’ve got this team at 93 wins on average. could have a had a few more wins had i not wasted picks on pedro and hecker

The Last Druid

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 11:26 pm

There will be at least 5 lefty parks, 1 bomber, 2 righty, at least three small ball and I can't yet see a clear and convincing direction for two teams.

This may produce a situation similar to the 2015 finals. Being able to deal with the lefty teams will be critical. I expect to see a lot of pitchers who are very effective against lefty teams, like Veale and Heredia. That is going to weaken you, despite your four aces approach. Don't get why you didn't draft Marichal in the last round. You have at least 8 parks where he will be nearly unhittable. I'd grab him myself next to prevent you from having him but he can't pitch for me unless I used one of his lesser cards, same for Mesquiton. Verlander and Marichal are two must haves for the non-righty teams and a steady diet of guys like that interspersed with hard lefties are going to make 9 lefty hitters look not so great. What you have going for you is Dunn is both a lefty and a small ball park, depending on how you stock the team. So there will be a lot of parks where you can play at your best. I've crafted a team that can hit in small ball parks as well as the righty parks, just need a few tweaks to make sure I can play competitively against the lefty majority. I don't think that will be too hard given all the scrubs and platoon guys that kill lefties. Bottom line, I don't think this will be the cakewalk you think it will be.
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour