2018 BS Finals "Discussion" Thread

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

cristano1

Re: 2018 BS Finals "Discussion" Thread

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 1:44 pm

The moment of truth is almost here. I have been waiting 2 months to see if Petro insists on drafting his tiny starting pitchers or if he breaks down and goes full out copy cristano and buys the 4 biggest stars he can find... Hopefully I'll find out today.

jet40

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 5:16 pm

Good Luck all.

The Last Druid

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 7:27 pm

Admit it Cristano, you've been waiting since the last championship finished to see what I will do. :lol: The last two months just terrified you that we would have an 80M no dh draft and I might get both Pineiro and Duren with my corner picks.

I had prepared for 80M the last few months, but prepared for 100M the preceding six months. The 4 Aces strategy is quite reliable at 100M dh, mostly for wins in the low to mid 90's. I've been using it a lot recently just testing things out. It is certainly an option, but the direction I head in is still draft dependent i.e. the rest of the first round picks. For my 100M experiments, I played in bomber parks which proved a very effective antidote to the Four Aces strategy. It is just unfortunate that we don't know our division opponents in advance. Still shocked that folks don't demand that, but whatever.

Your initial choice of Pedro suggests no 4 Aces for you this year. I imagine that your post today is an attempt to dissuade me from taking Pineiro and Duren, mostly because they would be the perfect complement to your first round pick. Thing is that the 4 Aces got a lot of play in the three semifinal lotteries that just finished. So I do expect some of those guys to trot it out in the finals. Certainly Ford in the first round suggests that team is headed in that direction, although Big Train would have been a far better choice.

I honestly haven't decided what I will do with my first two picks. It occurs to me that you are probably correct that we won't have too many bomber teams or Minute Maid type teams, which frees up a lot of talent if one goes that way and should result in a leisurely ability to grab some excellent values that no one else will benefit from. I'm normally partial to small ball but if guys are going for the Aces strategy, there are better options. I've also experimented with parks like Connie Mack '57, a quasi hybrid of small ball and Minute Maid and done very well.

Of course getting people to actually make their picks in anything approaching a timely manner appears to be an issue once again, even in the first round. Perhaps Mesquiton is too busy giving another interview to Wolfman Shapiro to bother making a timely pick. As Bruce Foster did, he gave one a few years ago where he was lauded as being one of the foremost Strat /ATG experts. I guess we should be honored to be in the same draft with him. I so hope that I can be competitive what that famous ATG legend.

cristano1

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 7:50 pm

well i won’t lie. i would be super flattered if you put shame aside and even in spite of that, drafted a copy cristano team with 4 large aces. i’m really rooting for you to do that. that way, i’ll have 2 teams in this finals league.

cristano1

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 8:05 pm

and that’s the true beauty of a 100m draft. pineiro and duren are 10th round picks in a 100m draft. in an 80m no du one could argue they are both 1st round picks.

mighty moose

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 8:13 pm

I suspect that the draft will start moving into higher gears after everyone gets through the first round. I expect that this is going to be easier that the slow dope draft as the number of new players added to dope is adrians estimate as to why it is now crawling. Never really should have used MS Access.

Anyway, lets continue the banter - it's part of the experience.

I get it Druid that you want to know your division mates it's just that auto assign makes it more random and that I just dont know of a really fair way to change that. We used to do it by draft positions 1,4,7,10 east - etc. SOM introducing the league jumbling once 12 players finish entering the league was a tremendous help to avoid when we used to get people entering a league strategically. Or having to fumble around with telling players - OK EAST LOAD NOW - the rest of you WAIT. Can we change it next year ? Will there be a next year ? Remains to be seen.

I need to see some changes to the way SOM works with me / us - get that live draft app upgraded to several hours picks, prizes upgraded, the way they ignore me / our tournament. Failing that, someone else may need to keep it going.

MM

cristano1

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 8:23 pm

Moose if Petro is going to just copy a prior team of mine shouldn’t you just use your commish power to just give me
control of his team too. Much more efficient that way.

mighty moose

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 8:26 pm

You would have to put in a ticket to SOM to have them do that. My experience has been that every ticket that * I * put in goes to the bottom of the pile and they get to it in a couple of months.

The Last Druid

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 8:29 pm

Cristano,

Pineiro is so grossly underpriced that he has often been drafted well before round 20 in unlimited cap leagues. Last year tmfw30 had both Pineiro and Duren in the finals. Pineiro went 12-6 with a 3.83 era. Both are very viable at 100M, your lobbying to the contrary. If I take them, assuming they are available after the next few picks, I will be well ahead of the curve for a cost effective team, even at 100M.

The Last Druid

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 8:31 pm

No Moose, my ticket would fare worse than yours. Yours would at least make the pile. Mine would be incinerated upon receipt.
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour