2017 Finals Vote for CAP/DH/Draft Order

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

cristano1

Re: 2017 Finals Vote for CAP/DH/Draft Order

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Congrats to everyone for making the finals. Since we have a few days to kill, I will offer my (humble) opinion on a couple things. I agree with Petro that divisions should be set pre draft. Think of the extreme case where you draft the best team ever, and then get stuck with three lefty parks or three righty parks in your division. Your awesome team now sucks, and you're f****d cause the draft is over and you've already drafted your stadium. Moose, you can count my vote toward setting divisions pre draft.

Secondly, I think that going forward (maybe for next year since everyone already picked their draft order slot for this year), we should at least discuss the finals draft being a straight (rather than serpentine), draft. With such a huge player set, many could argue that picks 12/13 are just as good as 1/24/25. I just finished a draft for the 2016 tour finals, and I liked the straight draft they used much better than serpentine.

Petro had a great run this year. While the rest of us were out at dinners or drinks with our girlfriends or wives, Petro was home huddled over the computer searching for the best teams to copy. And lucky for Petro, Petro found Luckyman's pitching staff formula and copied it to a tee. Success!!! None-the-less, Petro finished first, and therefore (in my opinion) deserves the added benefit of a straight draft. Just my 2 cents.

Sox040713

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 1:24 pm

Do I need to register on Diamond Dope or should I wait until Mondays email?

Questions for our wiley veterans: Does everyone usually take 3 hrs to pick? Do i need to keep checking all hours of the night (I probably will anyways) so I don't miss my turn? I would like to do some mock drafts before Monday so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Any input would be great, along with who you are taking in the first round, accept whoever is picking after me.

Does Diamond Dope link to our usual sight during the draft?

More questions to come.

Chase (Sox040713)

mighty moose

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Chase, I will create an account for you on DD and send by personal e-mail, your password. I will also create a mock draft for you and add those other players who have already tested a mock draft. I'll dig out my live draft tips and techniques and by Tuesday, you'll be an old pro at it. Me, I'm just OLD. - MM

mighty moose

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 1:37 pm

And no, nothing links to the SOM site. Your best bet is just to create a side-by-side team as your model or template, and as you get players - you add them to your SOM team. This is the best way to do money management as you can quickly overspend on the Diamond Dope site.

mighty moose

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 2:00 pm

Until I can get my hands on my live draft tips e-mail - after Round 1 is over, the clock is on for 3 hours. AFTER that time, you can be skipped but only by the guy after you. He must make a manual selection to skip you and then all the proxies fire off. As far as 3 hours per pick, it's better if you setup proxies rather than wait for your turn then your picks are made FOR YOU and the draft moves along rapidly. Again, my cheet sheet will help, still looking for it but at the latest you'll have it this evening.

Sox040713

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 2:02 pm

Thanks. I'm in.

mighty moose

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 2:18 pm

I sent the tip page to you. But the page we created here is here

http://forum.365.strat-o-matic.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=641647&sid=fb7aac3b9df34eeb0cdd0aef9cde7a59

I just bumped it back to the top.

BDWard

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 2:25 pm

Have all of the new cards been added to the Diamond Dope draft app? Although the playing community has greatly assisted Diamond Dope creator Adrian with adding the newer cards to the card reader, as of two weeks ago, it appears that none of the new cards added to ATG8 in at least the last year had been added to the draft app.

How about an update from new card maven Rosie2167?

mighty moose

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 2:32 pm

Rosie has been diligently adding the new cards not only to the Diamond Dope card reader, but ALSO to the Live Draft pool. We have been working with Adrian to make sure everything is up and Rosie has said he is making good progress. We need to check with him on that. He knows when we expect to start.

HOWEVER, bottom line is - if a new player is not yet added to the Live Draft app, you are on your own and free to draft a different version of him if you want him bad enough, OR you can put him in your autodraft list at the top.

No concessions will be made if the card you want isn't there. WE TRIED.

The Last Druid

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 3:03 pm

Almost forgot about the joys of Diamond Dope drafts. :roll:

If all the new cards are not added by draft time then why couldn't we just draft some nickel player who is never used on Diamond Dope and then stipulate the actual pick on the boards. Potentially not having access to the new players seems like a bass-akward approach to the finals. We could even create such a list of nickel substitutes in advance. Hopefully it won't be an issue, but what I propose is the simplest of work-arounds.

I think Chrissie is right about the straight drafts. Have a high finish actually mean something. Just something to think about for the future.

Also, I presume the clock is off overnights?? Never understood why it should be off weekends, it is one weekend a year and for anyone who works weekends, well the rest of us have to suffer through making picks during the "standard" work week.

Also, should the tour continue beyond this year, the SOM live draft works a million times better than the convoluted, interminable and laborious DD drafts with all their attendant work-arounds. All one would have to do is set a finals draft date a year in advance and only move it with the consent of all players. With that much advance notice, anyone can take two hours off, one would think.
Last edited by The Last Druid on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour