2017 Finals Vote for CAP/DH/Draft Order

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

hallerose

Re: 2017 Finals Vote for CAP/DH/Draft Order

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Sorry to keep everyone waiting. I’m on my iPhone now and fly home tomorrow. Looking forward to the draft against the best of the best.

Sox040713

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Fast forward..........its the 15th round people are putting in their last picks. Should we already have our 10 ready to go so the second the last pick is issued it automatically does the auto draft?

cristano1

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Pitching doesn't matter to me. I use many different pitching strategies, and all are similarly successful. one is 4 huge star pitchers, first tested 10 years ago by my brother, spicki17. another of my favourite staff settings is 2 big non stars (such as pedro and babe adams) and 3 small pitchers such as the ones i've made famous like donald and klippstein, with one super reliever (i like sutter and wilhelm the best and murray tier 2). another of my favourite staff types is 5 small non stars and 1-2 super relievers. number of super relievers dependent on how many of my prized big bats i can get. i loved lab's 3 huge stars and 1 tiny star used in last year's barnstormers finals. i just can't make that work like he can.

as for your first pick, it is no secret. there is only one pitcher you'll draft 1st pick overall. dale murray. in last year's final draft, the real luckyman drafted pineiro #1. you could be the ultimate copier and make pineiro your first pick this year. but you won't be so foolish. you could also draft pedro #1 to spite me. i've had him on my last 2 barnstormers finals teams. i'd care zero percent if you did that.

the cool thing about ATG is that there are limitless players available. it is nothing like the 2017 season, where there are only 3-4 great pitchers. the live draft is meaningless. all the real stuff is what happens between when waivers clears and opening day. two years ago, in the barnstormers finals, the team i drafted had a 40% chance of making playoffs as soon as waivers cleared. i got that probability up to 80% before the season started. last year was similar, i opened a little better at 55% and again got that to 80% before the season opened.

personally i am furious that divisional assignments aren't set pre draft. that takes a lot of skill away from the draft. however, i accept the rules of the barnstormers tour, it is more fun to try and work within the rules and exploit it all the best one can.

i had planned to stay completely silent on this message board this year. but when you said sociophil didn't deserve to be here. that was just absurdity. why? managers like him use unique strategies. i commend and respect that. why do you deserve to be here over him? because you copied luckyman's teams? how does that make you at all worthy? shouldn't luckyman be here instead of you? you stole his intel, nothing more. you should have considered that before opening your mouth to call someone less worthy. absolutely absurdity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Last Druid

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Never said that sociophil as a manager didn't deserve to be here. My issue was, and is, with the lottery like nature of the semifinals and that managers who don't even finish in the top 40, much less the top 20, get to a chance to still play in the finals. Like you yourself did a couple of years back. Sociophil is a creative manager, he even drafted Balboni one year in the BS and had him hit over 50 homeruns. My issue is with how the tour itself is structured; why have the tour and then allow anyone who manages to win a semifinal play off an equal chance at a ring after a medicore performance over the tour. Guess that distinction went right over your head, Chrissie. Maybe you should do some remedial work in reading comprehension.

sociophil

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 4:05 pm

I'd rather the draft start on Tuesday as scheduled. Family, work and friends will fill the time until then.

mighty moose

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 5:48 pm

We have a player with no internet access UNTIL Tuesday. That's why Tuesday.

Druid why do I have to keep repeating OVER and OVER - why do we have semifinals and allow them "a shot" at winning the championship? Because we have a starting membership of 160+ players and we have to keep them interested in playing the later rounds of the tournament and curtail dropouts.

You've even admitted that in a post in here somewhere.

So SHUT UP about it already ! Don't join if you don't like the rules ! And that goes for EVERYONE !

We use randomization of the teams within the league as all regular events are done. I'll CONSIDER changing it for next year but we aren't changing anything last minute because one or two people "like" it.

mighty moose

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Sox040713 wrote:Fast forward..........its the 15th round people are putting in their last picks. Should we already have our 10 ready to go so the second the last pick is issued it automatically does the auto draft?

No, I setup the league manually and I e-mail you the password. There is no tie between Diamond Dope and SOM. They are two separate entities.

sociophil

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 7:12 pm

The structure is great Moose. Your reasoning is correct. I nearly didn't compete in the last event because I thought I was too far out to make the playoffs. You emailed me to let me know that I could still make it. Caused me to belly up the loot for more credits and enter round six. Now here I am facing Lord Vader's fury at being in his presence. I hope SOM pays you because you're making them money. Unlike some players I only participate in tournaments, hence my low number of seasons. I did join a new keeper league last year though.

Thanks for running this tournament. You do an outstanding job, and putting up with bitching shouldn't be part of it.

cristano1

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 9:31 am

This is my 6th straight barnstormers finals. I am 0-5 so far for winning a championship. Maybe this is the year I break through. I won't lie, right now I feel like last year's LA Dodgers. Congrats to labratory and sociophil, I think they are each playing in their 3rd straight finals. For DONFESQ, this will be his 2nd finals in the last 3 years. Seems like this league has some serious competition in it. Looking forward to getting this bad boy started tomorrow. May the best man win.

tmfw30

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 3:47 pm

Question about skipping:

I will be mostly off the grid Wednesday, so assuming there is still drafting to be done, I will have my proxies turned on. This, I imagine, means that if the guy ahead of me doesn't pick, it will kick to me, my proxy will draft for me, and he will be skipped. I will assume you would rather risk this happening rather than have the draft come to a screeching halt on account of me. If I am wrong about this let me know and I will have my proxies turned off. -matt
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour