Help us - what would you like to see in Barnstormers 2017 ?

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

sociophil

Re: Help us - what would you like to see in Barnstormers 201

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 10:04 am

Great job Moose. This is an excellently managed tournament. Regarding the issues raised, I agree with those supporting the current point system. Winning should matter, and winning it all should be rewarded. It's hard to do, and I think it's silly to claim that the winners are just lucky. You see the best managers winning games AND championships with great regularity.

I like the $200 mil tournament. It takes a different approach to the auto draft than any other cap. There is little room for error, so risk taking in the draft can be dangerous.

I would like to see a 24 team event, maybe at the $100 mil level, as the 6th event.

Keep up the good work.

Roosky

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 12:32 pm

1)I am also in favor of scraping the points for making the playoffs or winning a championship. The wins you pick up in the playoffs should count as points though.

2)I am all for getting rid of the 200 mil event.

Outta Leftfield

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Should we set up a poll for keeping or scrapping 200M?

Should we also set up a poll for keeping, scrapping, or modifying playoff bonus points? If there's a poll option for modifying bonus points, maybe just one option should be presented: for example 12/6/3, as somebody suggested above. The case for having one modification option would be to avoid having a confusing level of split votes.

We clearly have divided opinions, and there may be some managers who have feelings on these subjects who feel a bit reticent about putting forward their views, but who would be quite ready to vote if given that option.

The Barnstormer Board wouldn't necessarily have to follow the results of the polls, but it would provide some useful information.

MARCPELLETIER

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Just to stir some facts in the pool: I went through the 200 auto-draft leagues of 2015 and 2016, and I counted only 5 teams (over roughly 20 leagues) with a .600 record or better, and in my opinion the success of three of these teams were at least in part explained by an outstandingly poor divisional rival (-300 run differential, payroll around 180M). In comparaison, I counted 7 teams with .600+ record among 25-ish 80M leagues.

So while I do acknowledge that getting out of the auto-draft with Maddux,Walsh and Alexander, for say, puts a team on a nice track, it does not appear to me that teams are running away with 110 wins with a happy draft unless they have a divisional rival that is simply throwing the season away.

So my recommendations would be:

Keep the 200 M format, or maybe offer a 200M live draft/180M auto-draft option to help a bit teams with a bad auto-draft
Continue to allow an optional round-so that 200M haters can still skip it
Ensure a lower payroll threshold rule such that an owner loses his team if the team payroll gets 10M below maximum

ScumbyJr

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 5:11 pm

I support the 1 point for every win system. There is big difference between getting swept and losing a long series. Winning a Championship still gives you 8 bonus points. The results of the PC Tourney show if you win Championships you will still be in top tier.

Rockers

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 8:14 pm

The Barnstormers Tournament is fabulous.
Kudos to the organizers.
For context, I usually only play low-to-mid cap 24 team leagues.
My preference is to keep the best 5 of 6 results. Wins (all wins, whether regular or post-season, count a point) and bonus points for making the playoffs and winning a championship should continue to be awarded. Maybe tweak it to 3 points for a wildcard, 4 points for division win, 5 for making the final and 7 for the championship. It IS about the ring!
I would s**t-can the $200M option and go with:
$60M noDH
$80M noDH
$80M DH
$100M noDH
$100M DH
$140M DH
That gives you three cracks at at a DH league and three cracks at a non-DH league, and each league requires you to manage the cap.
Also, the 24-team league final/semi-final is a seriously great concept. Kudos also to whoever first articulated that.

labratory

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 10:42 pm

I would never have played $200 Mil if not for the Barnstormers Tournament.
It presents a different challenge. That's why I would leave it in.

If the tournament awards one point for each playoff win, I would suggest a 2-3 point bonus for winning your division (nothing for a wild card) and a 5 point bonus for winning the championship. Winning a game 7 might be luck, but it's still better than losing.

Ballbuster

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Yes, thank you Moose. A great job on the tours in the past!

Please do not drop the $200M event. To me that is the most challenging and fun to play. I also play in the Mystery Tour where all events are $80M....boring!

And you already know my other suggestion. Figure out how to make the Live Draft a better option for the tour. Maybe it is the first League added for each event. It doesn't matter how early because as comish you can control the start date. If it doesn't fill a couple of weeks prior to the start date, just ask all who have signed up to move to a regular league. Similar to the way we have done in the past, with the addition of earlier availability.

As for playoffs, just try to involve as many players as possible.

Thanks,
BB

mastermosser56

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 2:43 pm

DON'T DROP 200...or 140

A vocal few don't get their draft cards and cry about it doesn't deserve a complete re-haul of the structure.

For many of us the 200 and 140 caps are fun and exciting because there are MANY combinations of players one can use to win, not just the most expensive players.

Not to mention, don't the 140-250 mil caps draft far more leagues than 60/80 mil caps?

I will not play unless it is a representative tournament, not a republican 'get rid of what a vocal few' don't like ;)

Badriders

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 3:24 pm

No 200 mil!! Replace with 80mil PLEASE!!
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour