Board votes on NO extra points for 24-team events

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

mighty moose

Board votes on NO extra points for 24-team events

PostFri Apr 26, 2013 2:59 am

The Barnstormers Board of Directors has voted unanimously not to adapt the rules to allow extra tournament points to be awarded for 24-team events. A summary of the comments is below.

Moose said:

My vote is no changes, no extra points. I don't think this favors anyone and it's a complicated process to get SOM to put it into play.

Other comments from the other board members:

1. No on extra points. Keep it simple as is. Owners are just going to have to be tougher in this round.

2. VII. Point System / Tiebreakers

- 1 point for each regular season win same as usual
- 5 points for winning a regular season division title just as many division title opportunities as usual
- 5 points for winning the wild card position twice as many Wild Card opportunities as usual
- 5 points for making the finals fewer Finals opportunities....tough luck
- 10 points for winning a league championship fewer Finals opportunities....tough luck

I say leave it the same

3. I totally agree, if we award extra points for this event, then winning the 24 team event, will give the winners which by default is a select few a giant lead on the others and cannot catch up in the following rounds.

4. I agree on no extra points as well.

Maxie Minoso

Re: Board votes on NO extra points for 24-team events

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 7:55 am

Don't have a problem with that decision. Seems to me that the 24 team format with a reduced player pool brought a larger amount of luck into the equation. It reminded me of ATG 1 were the draft played a more important role than typical in ATG 6-7. (In ATG 1 it was, did I get Mays/Collins/Al Simmons etc?) Can't see awarding extra points in that environment.

Besides, we entered our teams into this event knowing the usual rules applied.

However I would question item #2 with regard to the wild card and division title opportunities. Since there are six teams per division the chance of a title or wild card is reduced to 1 in 6 versus 1 in 4 in regular leagues. That deserves a possible "unfortunate luck" but not a "tough luck" comment.

As always I appreciate all that you and the Board do to make this a most enjoyable experience.

Maxie

andycummings65

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 8:50 am

Maxie,

One 24 team league provides 4 division winners and 4 Wild Card winners
Two 12 team leagues provide 4 division winners and 2 Wild Card winners (our usual setup)

Therefore, just as many division winners as usual and twice as many Wild Cards as usual (in a normal 12 team league)

That was my point, though, the point by another board member about giving a huge advantage to 24 team winners if more points were awarded is an even stronger argument in my mind..............

Outta Leftfield

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 9:53 pm

Just for clarification, are no points awarded for moving from the quarter-finals to the semi-finals in a 24-team league?

That seems to be the implication of the discussion above, but I can't find any direct mention of this question on the Rules / FAQs page. It would seem to me surprising if no points were awarded for advancing to the semi-final round, which is why I ask.

mighty moose

PostSun May 26, 2013 11:03 am

The rules were written before a 24-team event was ever tried. While I agree you have a valid point with a 24-team event having an extra round, the board took that into consideration when they decided that no extra points would be awarded for a 24-team event.

However, what SOM's automated system does with this round we will need to watch. When this was setup, 24-team leagues did not exist so I never discussed this scenario with them. It may award points for making both the Q-Finals and the Semi's. If it does, then we will just "go with it" and update the rules. It can be difficult to get SOM to make adjustments to the automated system once it's - well - automated.... :mrgreen:

buzz082308

PostSun May 26, 2013 10:02 pm

andycummings65 wrote:Maxie,

One 24 team league provides 4 division winners and 4 Wild Card winners
Two 12 team leagues provide 4 division winners and 2 Wild Card winners (our usual setup)

Therefore, just as many division winners as usual and twice as many Wild Cards as usual (in a normal 12 team league)

That was my point, though, the point by another board member about giving a huge advantage to 24 team winners if more points were awarded is an even stronger argument in my mind..............

Not that it matters but doesn't a 12 team league have 3 division winners and 1 wild card? Where as Two 12 team leagues would have 6 division winners? Not that I see myself being one any time soon.

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour