Players with both Pitcher/Hitters cards

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

TRW

Players with both Pitcher/Hitters cards

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 6:33 pm

I have not played in a new league since the transition from TSN to SOM.

I noticed that players that have played both Pitcher and Hitter, the pitching and hitting cards are now separate. Example Ruths Pitching card does not reference his hitting cards and vice-versa. His hitting cards reference all available hitting cards though.

Some questions:

Can you still convert players cards like on the old TSN site?

If Babe Ruth's pitching card and hitting card are not linked, Can Ruth be played 2x in the same league? Once as a hitter and once as SP? I believe this is the case with Joe Wood as well.

Valen

Re: Players with both Pitcher/Hitters cards

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 6:52 pm

This is an interesting question. Since this site was recoded from scratch not all things have been kept the same as before. Some things seem to be what they are by accident rather than design. I think at this point the only way to know for sure would be to give it a try and report back on results.

Valen

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 6:57 pm

Just tried in a league I am drafting. If you put Ruth the pitcher on your team and then attempt to draft Ruth the hitter it pops up an error that he is already on your roster. So no having him hit and pitch for you just as before.

I would assume then that having Ruth the hitter on your team would prevent others from adding Ruth the pitcher to their teams. Nothing like actually testing it though.

bontomn

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 8:55 pm

I don't think the computer will allow Ruth the hitter to face Ruth the pitcher anymore than it will allow Ruth the hitter and Ruth the pitcher to be on the same team. And rightly so.

Outta Leftfield

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 9:38 pm

On the other hand, I suppose a cheap route to drafting Ruth on your team would be to draft the pitcher for 8M+, then drop him for the hitter. This would give you more cash for your draft, but since you'd have to place Ruth in the first round in order to have any chance of successfully drafting him, I'm not sure that I see a major advantage.

Valen

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 8:12 pm

May or may not be an advantage to drafting Ruth the pitcher #1 so you can drop to get the hitter and save money for other draft choices.

But there is one definite potential disadvantage. If you do not get him you will probably get a pitcher of a quality level you could have gotten off the FA wire post draft anyway. So effectively you waste that pick. Drafting Ruth has potential of getting you a useable LFer as consolation.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats