How long should I expect before my league fills?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Michael Hopcroft

How long should I expect before my league fills?

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 12:20 pm

I just am starting out with SOM Online (never tried it before) and one of my teams in an ATG team (with the post-WW2 option and a salary cap of $80M). It's only been about 12 hours, but nobody else has joined the league I set up. BY contrast, the current open league I set up already has three new managers.

What I'm wondering is when I should expect my league to fill. How long does it generally take with open leagues?

(By the way, building a team on classic players with an $80M salary cap is tough! You can only afford one or two legends at most and I expect a big dropoff between the starting lineup and the bench).

nomo4evers

Re: How long should I expect before my league fills?

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 12:37 pm

I think when you have a theme league it will take a bit longer. Usually it starts out slow till you get 4 or 5 teams then takes off..not to worry..it will fill

Paul_Long71

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 12:57 pm

By the way, you should have an ABSOLUTELY HUGE dropoff between starters and bench. Spend as little money as possible on your bench.

Leagues with restrictions (post WW2 set) etc.... take at least twice as long to fill in my opinion....sometimes even longer.

Musial6

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 1:08 pm

Plus...........there's another practically identical to yours - did you notice that?

No telling how long that's been up. At the SN site, the start date used to be listed also.

Michael Hopcroft

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 1:58 pm

katzenjammer wrote:Plus...........there's another practically identical to yours - did you notice that?

No telling how long that's been up. At the SN site, the start date used to be listed also.

I didn't even see it. Maybe I should switch my team over to it, but would that mean having to do the draft process over again?

coyote303

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 2:07 pm

Michael Hopcroft wrote:
katzenjammer wrote:Plus...........there's another practically identical to yours - did you notice that?

I didn't even see it. Maybe I should switch my team over to it, but would that mean having to do the draft process over again?

No. You can simply leave the league you are in and join another league.

Michael Hopcroft

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 2:49 pm

I thought about doing that but changed my mind at the last minute.

The New Federal League has 11 openings out of 12, so it may take a while to fill, but I'm hoping someone gets interested. The two other ATG Postwar leagues had problems from my perspective: the main one was that someone had started a 24-team league and I didn't know that I wanted that much pressure in my first ATG league.

tomwistar

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 2:53 pm

The last time I did a post-war league like that, it took about 10 days to fill. That was on the old site. So expect to twiddle your thumbs for awhile, unfortunately.

andycummings65

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 3:08 pm

One other thing that usually helps fill faster---------make it an Advanced League instead of Standard. The designations really mean nothing, but most vets will usually join an Advanced before a Standard

Valen

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 7:02 pm

If I were you I would drop out of federal league and join all welcome. It has a head start with 4 teams. That means most will join it first before considering yours. You will be lucky filling yours before the MLB playoffs start and maybe not before the world series begins.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats