So why is SOM afraid of words?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

dharmabums

So why is SOM afraid of words?

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Salt got the cease-and-desist order for starting the "debate the rules" thread. Any ideas for why that might be a threatening behavior? Maybe some psycho-babble would help. The Lord only knows what's happening inside the SOM brain trust, because they sure ain't communicating nothing with us peons. And I'm definitely feeling peed upon.

What is the discussion behind that magic curtain that determines what comments are "offensive" to the company?

nevdully's

Re: So why is SOM afraid of words?

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 7:18 pm

I have my doubts that SOM is worried about being sued...or having their feelings hurt. Sounds more like Bernie to me.

dharmabums

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 7:33 pm

Wherever that came from, it crossed the line for me. Definitely was destructive of the community. Do you suppose they'll start censoring themselves? ;) Not that SOM has contributed much to the discussion.

Valen

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 10:09 pm

Have you not heard the pen is mightier than the sword?
Words can be one of the strongest forces on the planet.
I do not think the restrictive rules can be blamed on Bernie. Not tolerating negative commentary was the norm on the strat fan forums long before Bernie became a Strat employee.

Like it or not it is the new culture. I suppose that is part of the price of living in a free democratic country. Everyone has a right to run their business as they see fit.
I suppose one could approach this like you would an umpire. As long as the game is called the same for everyone the players adjust to the way they call the game.

nevdully's

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Valen wrote:Have you not heard the pen is mightier than the sword?
I do not think the restrictive rules can be blamed on Bernie. Not tolerating negative commentary was the norm on the strat fan forums long before Bernie became a Strat employee.

Like it or not it is the new culture. I suppose that is part of the price of living in a free democratic country. Everyone has a right to run their business as they see fit.
I suppose one could approach this like you would an umpire. As long as the game is called the same for everyone the players adjust to the way they call the game.

So I own a Country Club I'd like to run my business without hiring or allowing any ____________ (fill in the blank)

I own a restaurant ...I "sometimes" serve spoiled product, quite often use dirty utensils....now I never get in any trouble for that simply because when I'm asked if I do that stuff, I say with conviction "I would never do that"....and about half the customers believe me (hehehe).. And if I serve you rotten food with dirty utensils you better not say anything that might hurt my feelings or I'll throw you out because this is my business and I'm very concerned you'll ruin things for "some" other customers that might be getting salmonella as you speak.

guardian154

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 8:20 am

nevdully's wrote:
Valen wrote:Have you not heard the pen is mightier than the sword?

So I own a Country Club I'd like to run my business without hiring or allowing any ____________ (fill in the blank)

I own a restaurant ...I "sometimes" serve spoiled product, quite often use dirty utensils....now I never get in any trouble for that simply because when I'm asked if I do that stuff, I say with conviction "I would never do that"....and about half the customers believe me (hehehe).. And if I serve you rotten food with dirty utensils you better not say anything that might hurt my feelings or I'll throw you out because this is my business and I'm very concerned you'll ruin things for "some" other customers that might be getting salmonella as you speak.

This is the way business has been run for years....who will your customers tell that would give a rats ass anyway?
Doesn't matter that you serve a bad meal (product), until someone gets sick and sues...then and only then does someone who can do something...does something.

Although I don't have a big issue with the site as it is, knowing there are glitches...I do not like censorship in any form.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats