Sandberg vs. Kent

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

son_of_frankenstein

Sandberg vs. Kent

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 7:12 pm

Who would you start and why Sandberg 5R or Kent 2R ?? Home Park is 2-7 * 1-10 Thank you!

Mattw0909

Re: Sandberg vs. Kent

PostSun Mar 24, 2024 2:19 pm

I like the Sandberg card a lot. You might need a cheap lefty masher to platoon with him but I’d go with Sandberg

MICHAELSKLOM

PostSun Mar 24, 2024 2:26 pm

I try never to have a middle IF with range worse than two, for defensive reasons.
However, the Kent card is better offensively according to Diamond Dope. Slightly higher average, OBP and slugging.
Runs created is 17.1 for Ryno , but 20.5 for Kent.

Crabby Appleton

PostSun Mar 24, 2024 4:00 pm

son_of_frankenstein wrote:Who would you start and why Sandberg 5R or Kent 2R ?? Home Park is 2-7 * 1-10 Thank you!

Hey, I just created a team for that ballpark and have my full ratings already run. Overall, including defense, running, hitting, I actually like Kent (very slightly) over Sandberg. Given that he is $1.17 cheaper makes him a much better value. Yes, there is a defensive drop-off but the hitting and balance more than makes up for it. My opponents in that league were above-average in terms of hitting parks, so that factors in a high average 9.2 away BP rating for RHB. I don't use NERP or RC so this opinion won't match DD, just my take. FWIW, I like both Tubby cards a lot better but they carry the injury factor. Or Stanky.

Crabby Appleton

PostSun Mar 24, 2024 4:12 pm

son_of_frankenstein wrote:Who would you start and why Sandberg 5R or Kent 2R ?? Home Park is 2-7 * 1-10 Thank you!

You also asked why. Ryno has better D obviously. He is helped by his running also and BP vs LHP. GIDP's are similar. Kent is the better offensive threat, even vs RHP. And he is so much better vs LHP. So, that is the reason: Balance and Economy.

childsmwc

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 2:41 am

You can't really answer the question you have asked without knowing the pitching mix you will face on the season. That Sandberg 5R can become a significant value, if your RH pitching mix approaches 75% or higher. Anything below 70% and there are better options at 2B, even in a power park. In a lot of $80/$100 M leagues the mix is closer to a 60/40 RH/LH starter mix, in which case there are better options than both of those 2B.

Salty

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 4:20 pm

As noted above pitching mix matters- BUT ALSO-
the composition of the rest of your team matters-
like what your defense looks like at SS...
how heavy righty leaning is your line up already,
what are the other parks in your division etc etc etc...

multiple entendres to take into account...

Sweet Swinging 26

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

The difference between Sandberg's defense and Kent's defense is about 8 points of NERP. Which make Sandberg "close" to equal vs. LHP's and substantially better vs. RHP's. Plus the speed differential.

If you have over 60% RHP's it's a no brainer to me, I'd go with Ryno.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats