horrible card choices ?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Big Fred Whitfield

horrible card choices ?

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 5:36 pm

sorry, I dunno if this is the correct thread for this question

this is regarding the computer version of the game.....I purchased the 2017 season several years ago and added the "all time historical rosters" database to that.....in order to have access to more player cards

what I didn't realize at the time (haven't really played it much til recently), was that SOM for some inexplicable and illogical reason, selected pretty much THE WORST season of each player to represent them in a card

other inane settings are that the entire database isn't possible to search and sort all together....it must be done by decade...this means that any GM can NEVER compare and sort all players together, but would need to do it 10+ times at least, and then still not know how each decade compared to each other

just a LOT of things that don't make sense, is there any knowledge or feedback as to WHY SOM would provide such horrible representations of player's career ?......is THAT "historical" ???

sorry again if this isn't the correct forum, just flabbergasted at these deficiencies and drawbacks ;- ((((

BC15NY

Re: horrible card choices ?

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 6:00 pm

I moved your post to the ATG forum. It should get more response here.

What I recall from years ago, is the Career Historical rosters are based on career stats, not any single season.

Hack Wilson

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 7:59 pm

What Bill (BC15NY) says is true -- career historical cards are based on career seasons, as name implies. Always gonna give you a lesser representation of a player's peak/reputation than when actual seasons are averaged. FYI, I gave up a looong time ago playing solo on these careers/seasons after SOM quit using a Mac-usable option. I'm Mac-only, to each his own, but I don't like the user interface of PCs.

MaxPower

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 9:52 pm

I love the idea of having a card to represent a player's overall career but from the reviews I've read SOM really bungled (and continues to bungle, since they release an update every year) the execution, especially the fielding ratings. Ozzie Smith being a 3, things like that.

Big Fred Whitfield

PostSun Mar 24, 2024 4:34 am

doesnt seem at all like the stats are averaged, and doesn't look that way..... since they show a particular season (year) and the exact stats from that year, which often doesnt look like it would be the player's career average

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats