Pitching fielding ratings affect salary, perceived value?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Hack Wilson

Pitching fielding ratings affect salary, perceived value?

PostSun Mar 10, 2024 6:32 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we can't see the fielding ratings for pitchers on the individual CARDS until we have a non-DH league, right? Then, we see their CARD ratings (range and errors) in the fielding results on the MAIN team page under "pitcher's hitting statistics." (In DH leagues, we only see their error ratings and X rolls). So in a non-DH league of mine, I see Wilbur Cooper's actual fielding rating of 5e21. That's quite bad, and wondering if it contributes to him being perceived as a good value around that price point, because no one searching on Diamond Dope or in the card set itself can actually see the egregious fielding?

It's a slight variable in pitching value, but does make a difference collectively over the long run, probably affects salary a bit, and that's why we might think one guy is better than another at that price point -- without knowing the actual range and error ratings.

nels52

Re: Pitching fielding ratings affect salary, perceived value

PostMon Mar 11, 2024 2:34 am

I don't quite follow the dh/no-dh. When you click on their card it shows fielding rating (5e21 for $2.71 '24 M. Cooper) I guess you're saying it's less visible though?

I see x Outs and x Total in Sim Fielding as well as errors for pitchers?

I just use Berce's Offense vs Defense for pitchers. They have the same #s as 1B but obviously less innings in the field. I just divide whatever the 1B equivalent would be by 1/6th. I figure they make 1/4th of the starts and than pitch about 2/3rd of the innings?

1B 5e21 = 5.8 NERP
SP 5e21 = 0.97 NERP ?

That's pretty bad and makes a big difference.

Whoopycat

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 9:09 am

I would agree that pitcher fielding is one of those hidden factors most probably don't consider. That 5e21 is more or less adding 2 extra OB chances to Cooper's card.

I feel like every time I use a card like Fosnow with an e51 rating, every x-chance on him is an error. I just checked a recently completed league, and Fosnow/Sherry/Donald, all e51's were a combined 0 for 6 on X chances for the season.

Wild pitches are another hidden danger zone. Sherry has a double whammy of e51 and a 20 WP rating.

childsmwc

PostFri Mar 15, 2024 9:37 pm

I can tell you with certainty the e rating on each pitchers card is converted to "equivalent hits" (i.e. an e1 is a single, e2 a double, etc.) as well as double plays, when pricing. Unlike defense for all other positions where you assume a constant value, the pitchers X-chance on their card can easily be converted into offensive outcomes.

childsmwc

PostFri Mar 15, 2024 9:54 pm

At a high level, a 5e21 can be converted quickly as follows:

Range 5: 30% singles 70% outs
Error 21: 41% error 59% nothing

So multiply all of that together and you get the equivalent of:

Double (30% x 41%)= 12%
Single (30% x 59% or 41% x 70%)= 47%
Out (70% x 59%) = 41%

And the X chance is on an 11 or 3 if I recall, for 2 chances out of 108. Bad defense isn't the worst thing for pitchers due to its low probability but will add up over the season. Also for those who look at stats, it won't be highlighted since a lot of those outcomes will be errors and thus won't show as a hit from the pitcher and likely you will view the unearned runs differently because you don't realize they came directly from the pitcher card.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats