NERP value for Switch-Hitters?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

nels52

NERP value for Switch-Hitters?

PostFri Mar 08, 2024 4:21 pm

I've posted a lot about my NERP formulas. For hitters I have BAL NERP (72% vs R, 28% vs L) and fieldingNERP, armNERP, Ks, Clutch, Running, bp# HR, extra and a Inj Multiplier (1.03 for 0inj, 1.025 for *680 PAs, 1.0 for 1 inj, 0.91 for 2inj etc.)

Running is related to OBP, so the more the guy is on-base, the more value their speed gives them. Clutch is about 0.17 NERp per clutch hit (averaged between L/R, so a +10/+10 gets about 1.7 NERP)

I've known I'm missing gbBs values for Maury Wills and Ichiro types. Here and there I throw 0.1 or 0.2 into "extra" for small-ball guys that are undervalued and DH types can max out at -7.5 NERP because they're likely DH'd and mitigating that crazy bad NERP value. I've pretty much moved away from "Extra" as it's too loosy-goosy/hard to track, except for exceptional small-ball guys pricey Shortstops etc (Jeter)

My question is, what value if any should switch-hitters get? It's likely not much, and used to be a goal of "extra" but my Database currently doesn't give anything for it. Maybe 0.1 or 0.2 NERP? My digging into Pitcher vs L and vs R %s got me reflecting on this more. The main part of a Hitter or Pitchers score is their basic NERP on their "card," so a composite # between vs L/R

Regular Balance SP vs Righty Bats
RHP good against R or E RHP = 44%
LHP good against R or E LHP = 66%

Reverse SP vs Righty Bats
RHP good against L = 46%
LHP good against R = 64%

This certainly implies that Switch-Hitters gum up those numbers. Obviously, there's some value. Currently I give none. Now, in ATG I've leaned a bit away from big-money Switch hitters because they can't take advantage of one-side ballparks 100% of the time, but my pricing formula is more about pricing NEW cards to ATG9 scale---not in such a manipulatable roster/ballpark way. Plus, Switch-hitters have an obvious advantage. Is 0.1 NERP enough? That's pretty tiny. Should it be progressive, with better hitters getting a slightly bigger boost? Maybe minimum boost of 0.1 NERP and scaling up as hittingNERP gets above 20 or 30 to a max with Mantle of like 0.2+ NERP?

Sweet Swinging 26

Re: NERP value for Switch-Hitters?

PostSat Mar 09, 2024 8:02 am

To play devil's advocate. Switch Hitters are actually at a disadvantage against reverse pitchers.

If I saw an all switch hitting team in my division, I'd get all reverse starters and have a big advantage over them.

So I would definitely agree that the bump should be minimal if any bump at all.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats