Open for discussion: Worst superstar card in Strat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

bkeat23

Re: Open for discussion: Worst superstar card in Strat

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 9:14 pm

andycummings65 wrote:Poor Bob.

If he heard you say that he'd storm up into your face with fists clenched and yell "WHAT!!!!????".

STEVENSTEFFANNI

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 9:39 pm

there are too many examples as far as cards that basically are bad when you look at their stats...if you want to stop or slow down the over use of cheap cards make them way more injury prone I keep preaching its BS that a guy with 200 PA has the same chance as injury as a guy who had 599 PA...put these guys at 4 and 5 of getting injured and guys will think twice about using them...one player I was looking at tonight whose card should be wayyy better than what it is is Hal Trosky 4.77mil card .330/.388/.598 is better than most above 8mil yet his card crappy against a lefty and against a righty hes a 1 column card..80 mil leagues most players over 8 mil arent used...as far as pitchers go its all about offense anyway so a 5mil pitcher can have a 5 ERA and the 8mil pitcher may end up with a 4 ERA and it doesnt change the outcome

honestiago

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 8:25 am

ARod’s 1e8 at SS. Granted, this is awesome def at a key position, but It’s only really good in a bomber league.

Mattw0909

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 10:14 am

Most short stops , second baseman or centerfielder with good defense will have cards that will under preform for the price of the card. Besides that A rod card two that come to mind are the 9m Ripken card and the Jacoby Ellsbury card. I would use the 7m Ripken over the 9 all day and the Ellsbury card looks like it will play like the 6m Musial card on offense. I know it’s two different positions and that the defense for centerfield has value. But a 3.2m difference just seems like a lot for similar production.

leeroyjenkins

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 3:36 pm

I know some folks will disagree here but Cobb's 1911 card never seems to give me its money's worth. It's not so much that it's a bad card, but for that money it feels like you're paying for the defense, which you can get the same or better for much cheaper. He hits for average, gets you some doubles and steals bases, but I never feel like I get $12.28 million out of it.

Backfire

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 3:59 pm

Mickey Mantle's cards I find to be questionable. Some are better than others and most do not get used at 80M that much despite guys like Ruth getting used constantly. Not superstars per se but a lot of balanced relievers in the $1.8M+ range are pretty overpriced IMO. A lot of shortstops are way too expensive as well, especially if they have good offense.

I am in favor of dynamic pricing although it would be a major change. Personally, as someone that came from pvp video games prior to start I always loved balance patches. Certain weapons getting more speed or damage, a fireball spell getting an area of effect radius increase, and so on. It was always exciting. Strat can have similar excitement simply by pricing tweaks and a tool could be created to do it periodically with little to no manual labor.

It is not bothering me as much these days but I had considered quitting a while ago because nearly every team was full of platoons and I was seeing the same builds over and over. Tekulve and Mariano and other culprits being prized league after league. Dumping tons of new cards into the pool is fun but not as fun as brushing up the pricing IMO. If you look back at your old teams it's amazing how the prices changed between ATG sets. In ATG3 I paid something like 780k for Pete Vuckovich and had a 108 win season, my best. Now he is around $1.5M or so? It's cool to see and having to scour the pool for deals would be fun.

Rockers

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 4:28 pm

Reprice the set with each set of additions. Get all the tinkering done at once.

bkeat23

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 5:44 pm

Rockers wrote:Reprice the set with each set of additions. Get all the tinkering done at once.

This won't be often enough for some, but would keep some of the problems out of the process.

BC15NY

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 7:36 pm

patrickmac wrote:I nominate Bob Gibson.

Guy had an alltime season in MLB.

His Strat card makes him into a mediocre pitcher.

Is it me?

Different card, but in support of Bob...

From a recent 60m championship team. Bob won 33 games! As well as the MVP and Cy Young awards!

Name T End. W L S BS IP H R ER BB SO HR Hold BkR WpR Bat ERA WHIP BAL Salary
Gibson, B. (1966) R S9* 33 8 0 0 369.0 282 127 115 130 268 35 -1 0 10 3NR 2.81 1.12 1R 6.96M

AWARDS VOTING

MVP AWARD CY YOUNG AWARD
B.Gibson(SOM) 433 B.Gibson(SOM) 131

S.Sosa(T15) 338 B.Feller(LIS) 85
A.Belle(SOM) 201 R.Clemens(T17) 46
K.Mitchell(VIC) 131 D.Selma(VIC) 17
B.Herman(LIS) 95 S.McDowell(BRU) 8

STEVE F

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 8:30 pm

Gibson won 27 games for this team, in playoffs now. Won game two of quarter finals.
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/sim/1747554
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats