I guess clutch is highly overrated

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Sweet Swinging 26

I guess clutch is highly overrated

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 1:44 pm

At least with this team:

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/misc/1759040

1, yep 1, clutch situation in 33 games thus far this season. WOW.

WeatherNut

Re: I guess clutch is highly overrated

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 2:30 pm

Here is a team from back in the day that did pretty well with clutch.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/806372

They had 23 total clutch chances as a team.

jjii66

PostSat Feb 24, 2024 11:06 am

When I first started playing, I was obsessed with clutch. But I soon realized how seldom it comes into play, and I haven't paid attention to it since.

Bunze0

PostSun Feb 25, 2024 12:14 am

Recently built a clutch team, it failed miserably. Connor was terrible. Sanguillen did well

Sweet Swinging 26

PostSun Feb 25, 2024 9:08 am

39 games in ... Still 1 clutch opp.

DANMARTINELLI

PostSun Feb 25, 2024 10:12 am

The team's OBP is only .314 for the link you posted. Guys have to get on base for their to be clutch :) In any case I hope the rest of the season goes well and keep us posted on your end results. I for one would be interested to know. Finally, I have had some success with the 1908 Mike Donlin card that has several clutch chances. Cheers!

southpawcom

PostSun Feb 25, 2024 1:13 pm

Strat-O-Matic would do well by us to include a checkbox toggle on all hitter cards that would reflect on the colorful bar graphs the effect of the players' clutch hitting abilities. For the (agreed) extremely limited occasions where their clutch abilities matter.

Trivia: Which card offers the most clutch hitting chances? I believe it would be '86 Joel Skinner. https://365.strat-o-matic.com/player/41131/1986/1/292 Not a whole lot more than that there to recommend it for your roster, however ;)

bkeat23

PostSun Feb 25, 2024 6:42 pm

southpawcom wrote:Strat-O-Matic would do well by us to include a checkbox toggle on all hitter cards that would reflect on the colorful bar graphs the effect of the players' clutch hitting abilities. For the (agreed) extremely limited occasions where their clutch abilities matter.

Trivia: Which card offers the most clutch hitting chances? I believe it would be '86 Joel Skinner. https://365.strat-o-matic.com/player/41131/1986/1/292 Not a whole lot more than that there to recommend it for your roster, however ;)

If you want to go for a zero stolen base team, he's at the top of the list. 1-9 running is like a normal person with a piano stuck in his back pocket.

FrankieT

PostSun Feb 25, 2024 10:59 pm

Biggest impact posi or neg clutch has is on intentional walks. And that can be significant. If you start watching the PbP, you will see how this can be significant in critical situations, especially when you go with a studs and scrubs approach.

The AI uses clutch to determine whether to walk or pitch. It calculates, based on the game situation, what the next batter's modified chances are by putting the first guy on base.

So I'd say neg clutch almost matters more in terms of impact

It happens ALOT--it may not hit the clutch roll on the card but the effect is there BEFORE the roll

As a result, clutch can be more important to have for a bottom half of order hitter

Backfire

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 7:51 pm

I think clutch is pretty important but it's effects are difficult to analyze over a smaller sample size IMO. It is discouraging to pay up for a high clutch team, only to have it not work out. But the absence of negative clutch has a lot of value, because many games can be lost due to negative clutch as it is extremely common. The effects are exacerbated in high ballpark singles leagues. Positive clutch often doesn't look great once a season ends but it's still a lot better than negative clutch. I also think that positive clutch, while uncommon, does not seem to add a lot to the price of a hitter. I could be wrong.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats