HAL making some nifty defensive switches

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Outta Leftfield

HAL making some nifty defensive switches

PostMon Jan 22, 2024 12:29 pm

We all have a tendency to criticize HAL's decision-making skills, so I thought it was only fair to post a note about the nifty defensive switches HAL is making with my current 235M team. https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1754875

This team at what is, for me, a high cap includes 17 hitters and a lot of platooning, with players fielding at different positions depending on who is pitching and in what park, etc. And, a little atypically, many of my RH platoon players vs LHP are better fielders than my hitters vs RHP. These better-fielding platooners vs LHP include such great gloves as Brett Boone (2b-1e11), Eric Davis (LF/CF 1(-3)e5), and Sixto Lezcano (rf-1(-3)e5). Dihigo is starting at 2B vs RHP, and, of course, he can play multiple positions, so I have a lot of flexibility there. Duffy is starting in CF both ways (cf-2(-2)e11 / lf-2e11). And Giles and Rickey are alternating in LF vs RHP, depending on the pitcher and the park. Boone is set as Def Replacement at 2B and Lezcano in RF. My only other defensvie setting is to remove GIles for a def. replacment.

Given the team's depth and flexibility, there are a lot of options for defensive switching, and I've been impressed with what HAL has been doing on a consistent basis. Here is a sample game vs a RH starter:https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/468214/215. In the top of the 8th inning, my guys have a lead and HAL brings in Boone at 2B to replace LF Giles, and shifts Dihigo from 2B to LF. Then, after Cecil Fielder PH for Cash at 1B vs LH reliever in the bottom of the 8th--and Cecil HRs-- HAL shifts Dihigo to 1b (2e8) and brings Davis into the game in CF to replace Fielder. Meanwhile, HAL shifts Duffy to LF. Did you follow all that? We began with Cash 1B, Dihigo 2b, Giles LF, and Duffy CF. And we ended with Dihgio 1B, Boone 2B, Duffy LF, and Davis CF--a much better defensive configuration.

It seems to me that HAL is shuttling my players around in a surprisingly skillful way, with only a little encouragement from me. The one thing HAL hasn't done with consistency is put Lezcano in defensively for Reggie, so I've now set Reggie to be removed for a defensive sub. That setting is obviously what got Giles out of LF and set this whole string of events in motion.
I'd welcome any comments. Has anyone had a similar experience, or a better or worse one?

DonSutton

Re: HAL making some nifty defensive switches

PostMon Jan 22, 2024 2:39 pm

You're PLATOONING Dihigo? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Outta Leftfield

Re: HAL making some nifty defensive switches

PostMon Jan 22, 2024 4:20 pm

DonSutton wrote:You're PLATOONING Dihigo? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It seems crazy, but at 235M, I can afford to carry Boone's 9.7M as a platoon at 2B. Meanwhile, Dihigo is my best 2B option vs RHP. And my lineup has so many lefty killers that I couldn't find a role for Dihigo vs LHP. Strange things can happen at the higher caps. Even so, Dihigo's ability to hit both lefties and righties, and his ability to play multiple positions, is a real asset.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats