Sac Bunt

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

commitments

Sac Bunt

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 12:14 pm

Hi All
Does it matter where in the lineup I place my "A" bunter that I want to sacrifice as much as possible? I've tried him batting 5th and 6th but HAL won't pull the trigger. Does it make a difference to HAL if I bat him 2nd?

Thanks, Artie

Eddie E

Re: Sac Bunt

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 3:19 pm

If you are playing a small ball type of game I would bat him right after the hitter who has the best on base % followed by the hitter with the most two star singles and extra base hits.

FrankieT

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 8:02 pm

Artie, if he is batting 5th or 6th and his primary role is a sac bunt, I am missing something. He is sacrificing so that the 6th or 7th place hitter can knock him in.

small ball or not, if your #5 or 6 hitter is sacrifice bunting, something is off, whether SOM or real baseball. Right? I think?

Eddie gave good advice. But I would add that your guys sacrifice bunting and HnR-ing should be batters whose cards are less favorable than the generic bunt or HnR chances.

So, weaker hitters. Ideally, in real baseball you have your low strikeout guys in the 2-slot. In SOM, your #2 guy if smallball, should be your Hits+productive outs guy. It is also a good place to hide your high negative clutch dudes.

productive outs being not strikeouts, popups, line drives, double plays etc. Should be things like gbC, fly A,fly B, etc
Hits>>walks>>productive outs>>non-productive outs

Incidentally, then, your guys in the middle to bottom third of the order is where you should put neutral to positive clutch. Because in a standard lineup where there is higher OBP at the top, that is where more of the clutch events will happen.

commitments

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 3:01 pm

I switched him into the 2 spot last night and HAL had him sac bunt 3 times and my new #5 batter was also very productive.
Thanks for the advice.

Backfire

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 5:04 pm

The "Bunt More" setting in the Hitters section works well.

FrankieT

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 7:41 pm

commitments wrote:I switched him into the 2 spot last night and HAL had him sac bunt 3 times and my new #5 batter was also very productive.
Thanks for the advice.

Cool! Now don't go crazy with that new toy, fondle it a little!

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats