Monthly Contest Fixed ... Thanks Strat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Courtneylant

Re: Are The Monthly Contests Rigged? Or Just Plain Stupid?

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 8:24 am

i emailed strat about this topic and told them about the "chatter" here. they responded back asking where the post was. we'll see if they make any changes to what league qualifies.
-Alexander Supertramp

Sweet Swinging 26

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 10:42 am

It looks like they listened. It appears that the questionable teams have been removed from the contests.

Thanks for hearing us out Strat.

Palmtana

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 2:30 pm

I received a reply from SOM about this issue and they have indeed made some changes. I'm waiting to hear back from them to see if it's OK to post the email they sent me.

MaxPower

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 5:11 pm

This is the second time in a couple months they've made a small change responsive to forum posts. Maybe they're making an effort?

fowldawg

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 5:15 pm

This whole situation came up a couple years ago during a monthly contest. It was a 6-team league with one owner running all teams. They ending up handling it the same way.

andycummings65

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 6:05 pm

MaxPower wrote:This is the second time in a couple months they've made a small change responsive to forum posts. Maybe they're making an effort?

They are making an effort, but I don't think it is because of forum posts. Usually, when there is a serious issue, a good faith, kind-hearted email to Support does a lot more than posts here. 8-)

Courtneylant

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 7:30 pm

They responded to me as well. Was a very thoughtful response and they had reasons for letting the rules be less strict but reached what appears to be a good compromise.

They wanted the contests to be less competitive and an alternate way for players to have fun and try to earn credits. They don’t want to restrict to auto leagues due to this likely leveling the playing field too much and dropping interest. Goal was to create an alternative way to approach playing.

They said they recognize it’s too wide open. So theyare excluding 6 team leagues and leagues where managers own multiple teams from Challenges. Both of those are a bit too exploitable.

I think they made the right adjustment.
-Alexander Supertramp

Main Line Expos

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 10:24 am

they fixed this issue, see the announces on your front office page...THEY RESPONDED QUICKLY TO THIS! YEAH

ScumbyJr

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 10:40 am

FrankieT wrote:well clearly not the former, since anyone else could do the same thing.
But certainly the latter IMO.

Maybe they just want to drive interest, dunno. Never tried for one of the contests so it never concerned me.

Funny on the first example and not trying to sweep all the credits. But on the second example, CDTLB has been around a long time and has good folks in it. If they qual, they qual.

The challenge of any type of restriction on qualifying is the line has to be drawn somewhere and that is subjective. What is a theme league, quantitatively? There are autodraft public leagues that are almost theme-ish just depending who is playing.

Thanks FrankieT, none of us in the CDTLB had a clue about the contest.

Sweet Swinging 26

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 5:20 pm

ScumbyJr wrote:Thanks FrankieT, none of us in the CDTLB had a clue about the contest.

You were not being accused of anything nefarious. Just pointing out how a league such as that totally skews the results of a monthly contest. Nothing more.

On the bright side, members of your league earned 6 Freebies from the contest.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats