Appears to be not working

FrankieT

Re: Diamond Dope

PostTue Apr 18, 2023 7:23 pm

oh no. the hamster must have gotten tired

FrankieT

PostWed Apr 19, 2023 7:14 am

If SOM would push these boards to HTTPS some of that crap would be lessened. And with AI interactions now becoming mainstream, it is only going to get worse.

leeroyjenkins

PostWed Apr 19, 2023 6:01 pm

FrankieT wrote:If SOM would push these boards to HTTPS some of that crap would be lessened. And with AI interactions now becoming mainstream, it is only going to get worse.

Just FYI Diamond Dope is independent of SOM so Strat's https stuff that you're on about shouldn't be a factor here. It's run by the grace of a guy that doesn't even play the game any more, as far as I know, so I'm just thankful for whatever resources I'm able to get from it.

MaxPower

PostWed Apr 19, 2023 6:06 pm

I believe Frankie was referring to a spam post that's since been removed, I'm sure he knows DD is not run by Strat. Just imagine Strat providing a resource as helpful as DD, the idea is absurd on its face!

FrankieT

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 7:48 am

leeroyjenkins wrote:
FrankieT wrote:If SOM would push these boards to HTTPS some of that crap would be lessened. And with AI interactions now becoming mainstream, it is only going to get worse.

Just FYI Diamond Dope is independent of SOM so Strat's https stuff that you're on about shouldn't be a factor here. It's run by the grace of a guy that doesn't even play the game any more, as far as I know, so I'm just thankful for whatever resources I'm able to get from it.

I am making an exception to post here because Moose has added some gravitas to my request of SOM--apparently they referred the issue to their IT team--so I will give them temporary props.

Leeroy--I respect your agile defense of Adrian (agabriel) and his gift to the community and I suspect you thought I was disparaging him so I will de-escalate that to explain what I was "going on about." As it says above, I was talking about the http (ie non https) nature of the boards.

I've been around the online game under a few names (some likely expletives) for 20 years. So I know the history. I remember playing when agabriel was still playing--in fact even had given a modest $ contribution to DD at the time, but like many likely today, not nearly enough for the amount I was using it back then. I don't use it much anymore.

What Max said was exactly right. The webcrawler spam-link posts were removed. When you have unencrypted data passing across the net, stuff like that happens. In my other life I sometimes audit major IT systems, so this sorta thing is kinda my jam and I am a bit OCD about it.

My hamster comment is simply that we know DD is potentially on borrowed time if it doesn't get hosted more permanently and supported with $$. That's all I was referring to. I think if people supported it with $ commensurate with their use of the tool, maybe Adrian would have stayed involved. Who knows.
Cheers--yes Adrian has been a gift to the SOM community for decades and we never gave him back commensurate value.

egvrich

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 9:32 am

FrankieT wrote:My hamster comment is simply that we know DD is potentially on borrowed time if it doesn't get hosted more permanently and supported with $$. That's all I was referring to. I think if people supported it with $ commensurate with their use of the tool, maybe Adrian would have stayed involved. Who knows.
Cheers--yes Adrian has been a gift to the SOM community for decades and we never gave him back commensurate value.

Amen! Raise a glass to Adrian and maybe open your paypal account too!

mighty moose

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 11:17 am

I found an email for Adrian. I will ping him.

EDIT - wow he hasn't played Barnstormers since 2010. I feel OLD.

I've contributed a few bucks several times to DDOPE. I encourage it.

AFAIK, Adrian retired from programming for a school district many years ago. As Andy knows, he has given us a way to add card data when new players are added so the site is still mostly community maintained.

Over the years, some rumors were said or maybe just joked about, that the site was running on a laptop sitting on top of his TV. :mrgreen:

MM

egvrich

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 11:57 am

Just checked and I could pull up the home page but that was it.

I played in many leagues with Adrian a long time ago. Was sad to see him go, but thankful for the Dope.

mighty moose

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 4:05 pm

Adrian is aware of the issue and has a ticket in with his hosting provider. No timeline given but that's all we need to know.

MM
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats