Roger Connor, mister clutch

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

killebrew3

Roger Connor, mister clutch

PostTue Jan 24, 2023 11:55 am

I like small ball 1B Roger Connor for several reasons including no injuries and clutch hitting. I've noticed that he's almost always at the top of the leaderboard for intentional walks, hitting in the middle of the order. Does the game manager recognize his superior clutch hitting and automatically give him a free pass if there are runners in scoring position and first base is open?

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/st ... ers/463096

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/st ... ers/463196

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/st ... ers/463249

If that is the case, would it make sense to bat another guy with positive clutch behind Connor to either discourage the intentional walks or take advantage of the situation if HAL chooses to walk him ?

egvrich

Re: Roger Connor, mister clutch

PostTue Jan 24, 2023 1:32 pm

Not even sure where I heard it but old school ATG wisdom said to bat your Clutch hitters at 5 & 6

BaseballFan25

PostTue Jan 24, 2023 4:43 pm

How important is clutch? Some players have told me it doesn't matter much, others said it could be the deciding factor in choosing between two close batters.

MaxPower

PostTue Jan 24, 2023 8:23 pm

Clutch definitely informs HAL's IBB decisions, oftentimes to an absurd degree, where HAL will walk an average hitter with lots of positive clutch chances to pitch to a superior hitter with negative clutch.

In MLB, lineup spots 4 and 5 see the most clutch chances, while spots 1 2 and 3 see the least. 3 and 5 are the most extreme.

Clutch is important but accurately priced, to where my lineups typically end up with some good clutch and some bad clutch. Usually more bad simply because good clutch is somewhat less common. But along with GIDP it's the most important thing not tracked by Diamond Dope's pool.

BaseballFan25

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 12:33 am

MaxPower wrote:Clutch definitely informs HAL's IBB decisions, oftentimes to an absurd degree, where HAL will walk an average hitter with lots of positive clutch chances to pitch to a superior hitter with negative clutch.

In MLB, lineup spots 4 and 5 see the most clutch chances, while spots 1 2 and 3 see the least. 3 and 5 are the most extreme.

Clutch is important but accurately priced, to where my lineups typically end up with some good clutch and some bad clutch. Usually more bad simply because good clutch is somewhat less common. But along with GIDP it's the most important thing not tracked by Diamond Dope's pool.

Interesting. I'll keep an eye out for clutch in the 4th and 5th spots. Thanks!

egvrich

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 10:44 am

MaxPower wrote:But along with GIDP it's the most important thing not tracked by Diamond Dope's pool.

Can't say how much I agree with this part of what Max said ...

southpawcom

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 11:02 am

MaxPower wrote:... But along with GIDP it's the most important thing not tracked by Diamond Dope's pool.

Actually it is reported in DiamondDope. It's in the L_CL and R_CL columns in the Pool grid.

But gbA indeed is not tracked in the DD Pool grid and is much more important info than Clutch, imo.

MaxPower

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 5:00 pm

Whoops! Brainfreeze on my part. Thanks for that correction southpaw.

egvrich

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 9:33 am

southpawcom wrote:But gbA indeed is not tracked in the DD Pool grid and is much more important info than Clutch, imo.

Sometimes I dream about a world where gbA's are on the DD spreadsheet ... :lol:

mykeedee

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 10:09 am

You guys, both are tracked on DD,
http://www.diamonddope.com/card_reader.cfm

For example, at the extreme right vs. left and right, Ray Knight's 1986 Mets page shows 16 and 15 clutch hits respectively, highlighted in pink and blue. In the lower column and graphic the page shows 26 gbA & 6 gbA+ vs. lefties and 29 gbA & 6 gbA+ vs. righties
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats