This Has My Attention: New Questions

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

FrankieT

Re: This Has My Attention

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 10:52 pm

Bill, those are good points--in fact, seemingly inviolable points.

J-Pav, I have always, and still do, pay attention when you offer something because you are always helpful, genuine, and measured here, for many many years. I am not going to challenge your assertion directly because all the data are selective anecdotes, and I don't think you claimed otherwise. You seemed to be offering interesting observations. (edit--maybe I misinterpreted based on your last message)

So then, the logical mountain I can't summit is the amount of constant meticulous planning, execution, assessment of outcomes, and adjustment that would be necessary. And making it all happen while everything else is kept afloat. And everyone has to be in on it.

No disrespect to SOM, but how does what we know about the capabilities of this small family owned company match up to the people in that small building on LI masterminding such a thing? I mean--look at the game and website interface. But especially the windows game. THAT company is doing this surreptitiously?
AND they are making that extra effort, while keeping it all separated among the different games, without corresponding market share increases?

And let's say you are right--has it worked? It would seem not. Is there a pattern among the chosen and unchosen? And when does someone transition.

Lastly, and maybe even the most telling, is this discussion was going on back when Bernie was around working for TSN.
The common thread then across the rubicon is each player's perception, along with the emotionally sharp experiences that cause feelings of inequity and alternative explanation to chance or skill because it assuages our egos.

J-Pav

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 11:03 pm

Et tu, Frankie??!

In on it and surreptitiously?

My communication skills are obviously extremely flawed. Nothing to see here folks. Let’s move along now.

MaxPower

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 11:13 pm

J-Pav wrote:Users browsing this forum: djmacb, J-Pav, MARCPELLETIER, tombar3 and 0 guests

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Bballexec

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 11:22 pm

J-Pav wrote:Here’s one where Bballexec bled 7 and I bled 5.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/expanded/462784

To me, the more interesting thing about this league was your pitching strategy. It did better than I thought it would. Lots of cheap S/Rs in a slugging ballpark. Also, many hitters parks in the league.I thought you were playing matchups, but I couldn't quite tell how. Then it appeared you lost interest about halfway through. Also, it appeared you wanted to give Hal lots of options to see how it worked out.

gkhd11a

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 11:33 pm

J-Pav wrote:Back in 2017, when Strat did the manager records and trophy case, they decided 117 wins would get a gold trophy. The record for wins in ATG9 is 112. One team in ATG 8 had 118. Why was the level set so high then, and it’s so much harder to achieve now? My guess is that they are constantly trying to fine tune some sort of “realism” out of a game that should be quite a bit more outrageous.

You can say the same thing about saves and a few other categories.

I do not understand what you mean when you say run diff is one of the worst ways to build a Championship team. In what circumstances would one not want to score the maximum runs and allow the fewest? In every league I play, I never try to score maximum runs, I look at matchups. Enough teams will be suboptimal and for the most part what you need is 87-89 wins to make the playoffs, I don't need 105 so I will lose games with my 4th pitcher in order to win a high percentage with the other 3 because when you get to playoffs they pitch 6 out of 7, and if an all lefty lineup with 9L and 9R batters gets the most runs when you know someone with great lefty pitchers and relievers will be in the playoffs you need to adjust the team. I have never played this game as if it was a math problem to be solved to score the most and give up the least based on league composition. I usually worry about only 2 teams in a league while trying to get a general sense of what will work best in the division. I don't even look at run differential 99% of the time, I couldn't tell you if most of my teams are positive or negative to wins expected, those are irrelevant as only real wins and getting to playoffs matter. If they change rules to expected wins and losses determines titles well I will have to change my style

Once again, I don’t care if pythag is predictive. My problem is that luck should NOT be predictive.

They kicked the guys out that were intentionally trying to lose.

gkhd11a

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 11:41 pm

FrankieT wrote:Bill, those are good points--in fact, seemingly inviolable points.

J-Pav, I have always, and still do, pay attention when you offer something because you are always helpful, genuine, and measured here, for many many years. I am not going to challenge your assertion directly because all the data are selective anecdotes, and I don't think you claimed otherwise. You seemed to be offering interesting observations. (edit--maybe I misinterpreted based on your last message)

So then, the logical mountain I can't summit is the amount of constant meticulous planning, execution, assessment of outcomes, and adjustment that would be necessary. And making it all happen while everything else is kept afloat. And everyone has to be in on it.
No this would be easy, all you would have to do is have a program for a check of the player type and then an idea of how many rolls to change outcomes based on score. They would just have to check at the start of the game the player level and the difference in player level changes how many successive rolls will come up for hitter and can balance later in game. Having 4,5,6,5,5,6 is far more advantageous when your 1-6 hitters are up than 3,2,4,3,6,7
even if rolls are evened up later a single inning like early in a game against a stud pitcher can get the starter removed and mess with the bullpen even if the rolls end up even. Could also just add a couple of points to attempted steals and BP hits and HR's, error ratings of fielders etc when game is within 1 and it would not be noticeable.

No disrespect to SOM, but how does what we know about the capabilities of this small family owned company match up to the people in that small building on LI masterminding such a thing? I mean--look at the game and website interface. But especially the windows game. THAT company is doing this surreptitiously?
AND they are making that extra effort, while keeping it all separated among the different games, without corresponding market share increases?

And let's say you are right--has it worked? It would seem not. Is there a pattern among the chosen and unchosen? And when does someone transition.

Lastly, and maybe even the most telling, is this discussion was going on back when Bernie was around working for TSN.
The common thread then across the rubicon is each player's perception, along with the emotionally sharp experiences that cause feelings of inequity and alternative explanation to chance or skill because it assuages our egos.The top players in the game at the time demanded the change in bullpen code and constant pricing adjustments and huge increases in the player pool, changing the game from ATG to all time baseball players enabling 9L 9R lineups and forcing S9 starters to pitch 350 innings. The biggest issue was the HR limit was on and they claimed it wasn't till Treymo proved it was on. So if there is a rouge programmer, the management here would have no idea and the game is therefore only as good as any programmer hired off the streets of NY to work the code.

FrankieT

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 12:22 am

J-Pav wrote:Et tu, Frankie??!
In on it and surreptitiously?
My communication skills are obviously extremely flawed. Nothing to see here folks. Let’s move along now.

I'll go back in my hole trying to use my last credits from my last purchase a few years ago.
Nope not your comm skills.
I was on a different raft.

FrankieT

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 12:25 am

What has had my attention is marc has been roaming the boards a lot but not posting, and his tone, tenor, intellect, and play style greatly resemble...
yes Luckyman that's right. :)

MaxPower

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 12:29 am

I don't see how "in on it" or "surreptitiously" misrepresents your position? You are clearly suggesting that Strat may be manipulating results to favor a certain class of managers and then lying about it?

J-Pav

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 1:20 am

Again, this is where my ability to communicate must breaking down. I’m not saying anybody is lying about anything. I’m seeing patterns repeat and I’m reporting those patterns. I’m wondering if other people are seeing the same things I’m seeing. Some are. Others are not. I can accept it’s maybe just me seeing patterns where there really aren’t any. This entire game is predicated on that search, however, so right or wrong I am always looking.

If Strat doesn’t want to discuss the details of the game play, for whatever reason, that’s their decision. They don’t owe me an explanation of anything. But I am a customer and I do have some questions.

Having said that, I’m winning rings at the same rate I’ve always won, more or less I think. I posted a 106 win team in there somewhere. There are no sour grapes here, or damaged ego. I guess what I’m doing is posing to myself a philosophical question. Would I continue to play if I knew for a fact that as a result of my skill level I was being asked to share some wins with the field? Because, at this time, it appears to me that that is what I’m being asked to do.

Most times a few wins have no bearing on my current standings. But sometimes they do.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats