Small ball...advicce, criticism etc.

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

egvrich

Re: Small ball...advicce, criticism etc.

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 2:36 pm

roniwas wrote:That's why I said short of starting a new team with fresh dollars, I'm pretty much locked in for the season (I'm still 4.7M above the cap). Your previous advice has been very helpful for the construction of a new team.
I still would like an answer as to the reasoning for BPHR on RH P cards. I must really be dense.
A 29-30M cap for pitching seems a little low for my liking, but you have had more experience than I, so that will be my next attempt. Again, thanks for all your feedback and hopefully future attempts will get more favorable approval from you and the rest of the small ballers out there. Also sorry I didn't hear from egvrich.

Roniwas, sorry, I have been out of pocket largely. If you still have questions, let me know, I am always willing to share what I know.

egvrich

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 2:39 pm

Lot of information has already been shared, but if anyone is interested, I'll share my thoughts on Small Ball.

Outta Leftfield

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 3:57 pm

egvrich wrote:Lot of information has already been shared, but if anyone is interested, I'll share my thoughts on Small Ball.

I'm sure we'd all love to hear your thoughts, egvrich. One question I've got right now is--how to deal with the raised prices of most of the top *SPs?

In ATG8, I used to have pretty good luck in 100M non-DH leagues with a staff of 4 Aces--guys like Maddux, Big Train, Alex, Walsh, etc, and maybe a cheaper 4th starter. This would still leave enough cash to support a pretty good small ball offense. With the price of the top SP*s going up $1M or more, that strategy seems a bit more problematic, since the same starting staff might cost 46M say, instead of 42M. That's money lost on the hitters. Anyway, I haven't had nearly as much success with the 4 Aces strategy as I used to.

My thought is to perhaps go with cheaper but still very good SPs* in the mid 9M to high 8M range. Those prices don't seem to have been much affected by the ATG9 switch. Then use a bit more than a mininum bullpen and put more $$ into the offense. I haven't had a chance to try this out since it recently occurred to me, but it seems to me to make sense. Any thought on the likely effectiveness of this approach?

Other ideas would also be most welcome.

tkl33

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 10:07 pm

Great thread! I've learned a lot from the great small ballers here. I'm not in their class. I usually go with stud starters, not much BP, great D a 1 HR hitter, 2 if possible. I RH and 1 LH. I may have to rethink.

If I can't get the stud SP, I love the reverse SP, then I may need a little more BP

The 1 thing that I do differently is that I'm gonna build my team the way I want it. I'm not gonna build it to beat 11 other teams. I want you to try and beat my 1 team. Probably why I don't win as much as they do :lol:

Tim

roniwas

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 10:51 pm

WOW...all this renewed interest in this thread, small-ball in particular. Thanks to egvrich for getting back to me and I'm getting ready to post a new SB team, thanks to help from FrankieT. Hope you guys look it over and share your thoughts.
As to tkl33 an Outta Leftfield, high end pitching doesn't seem to work too well in small-ball. I currently run two hi *SP teams, 9M+ and they're fine in a pitcher's park with solid defense and Batters. One is 15 over .500 the other 7 over. But if you read the thread it seems the emphasis should be on a lower priced pitching staff, 29-30M. You need to concentrate on OBP, speed and defense along with a bit of power. Having the extra funds for offense is really helpful
Stay tuned for the coming posts.

tkl33

FrankieT

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 11:33 pm

Hey Tim! Nice!

roniwas, I think the pitching staff price all depends. Balance it with the defense and the opponents and your own style. Kind of a crap answer but it can also be successful if overwhelming. And there is a difference between lots of $ on SPs who pitch 95% of your innings, vs high priced SPs and RPs where there is no good way to tap both's value.

So as someone said, make it yours and try what you like.

Or...do whatever it is egvrich suggests :)

Here is another 100M sample. I would say that at 100M, the stud starter thing is even more prevalent.
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1614371

BTW, I think beyond 100M it becomes progressively more difficult to succeed with smallball (or that is just the limitation of how I do it)

BaseballFan25

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 11:45 pm

Lots of good info in here!

roniwas

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 9:52 am

Well here we go...This is the current SB team I'm working on https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/frontoffice. It's still a work in progress. The pitching staff might be a little too low and there are some offensive changes that might have to be made. It's a little low on HR but there are some heavy 3B adds and 2B seems to me to be strong. I think it will generate runs, not every at bat (FrankieT) but close. So hopefully evgrich and Frankie and all you SOM's out there will add your thoughts. Once were through evaluating this team there should be enough SB info for everyone to have fun. Thanks again guys. This is really a great way to learn the ins and outs of the game. I haven't submitted the team to a league yet. So hopefully it can be seen. Here's another link, just incase https://365.strat-o-matic.com/member/sw ... am/1713353. I'll be using Braves field '20 (4-4-1-1)

Mattw0909

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 10:18 am

I will attack pitching differently with each team, I think the biggest difference is if I build around my pitching staff or if I build around my lineup , but in general there’s two different “price ranges” I’ll use with a 80m cap with small ball. I’m either going all in with pitching spending half my budget or more on starters like tlk’s fourth example above. Or I’m sitting somewhere in the 7m-5m dollar range with my starters and occasionally I’ll cheap out on one. Each league will be different obviously Here’s two examples of teams I’ve had success with. One won the championship but the record isn’t the best and the other won 96 games but lost in the playoffs.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1681078

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1689324
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats