Small ball...advicce, criticism etc.

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

FrankieT

Re: Small ball...advicce, criticism etc.

PostMon Jan 16, 2023 2:10 am

roniwas wrote:Is there any way to find out more about the pitch count fatigue system? Is there any way to know how it's determined or is that HAL's dirty little secret.

Sort of a slightly dirty little secret. Because we don't know the suggested pitch counts nor do we know the fatigue system function. This mostly would affect relievers in a cascading fashion on consecutive days, so with the big stud SPs and no bullpen, then yes, minimal effect.

But BP v3 does have effects on gameplay that may be relevant to some play styles, like if you use a bullpen.
From the SOM wiki: (https://stratomatic365.fandom.com/wiki/Bullpen_v3)

- A long outing may now result in more than 1 suggested day of rest

Previously, one day of rest was always enough for the computer manager to declare that a given reliever was ready for duty. He would enter the next game with a possibly lower initial Suggested Pitch Count if he was worked hard before the rest day, but the computer manager would not hesitate to bring him in after just 1 day off. Now, if a given outing is particularly long, the computer manager may decide an additional, 2nd day off is called for.

- Now more hesitant to use a reliever for a 2nd straight day if the 1st day was a long outing

Previously, a long outing by itself (i.e. well-rested before the outing) would not mandate a day off the following day. The pitcher would enter a game on the next day with a possibly lower initial Suggested Pitch Count, but the computer manager would not hesitate to bring him in for this 2nd straight day. Now, if a given lone outing is particularly long, the computer manager may decide an immediate day off is called for.

- Suggested Pitch Counts for relievers reduced by 20%

These were previously too high. Reducing them does not mean a reliever will necessarily get tired faster; it means the point after which giving up baserunners begins to tire him arrives a little sooner. This will not artificially tire relievers who are pitching well.

Suggested Pitch Count

A Suggested Pitch Count is determined for each pitcher at the start of each game. This represents the approximate number of pitches he may throw before his condition starts to deteriorate.

It is possible that a pitcher may have his Condition altered well before or well after the suggested number of pitches for him. For instance, if he gets his doors blown off early in the game he might have his Condition affected earlier. Conversely, if he is pitching a gem he might be able to go many more pitches before his Condition deteriorates.

Pitcher's Condition (F0 - F9)

The pitcher's Condition can be from F0 to F9. F9 means that he is operating on all cylinders, whereas F0 indicates that he has nothing left in the tank. Normally pitchers start their appearance as F9 and maintain that level until they approach or exceed their Suggested Pitch Count.

If a pitcher's Condition drops to F0 he will continue to fatigue the longer he stays in the game. His Condition rating will remain displayed as F0, but he will start to give up hits and walks at a higher rate if you leave him in the game.

The situations wherein a pitcher can reach his Point of Weakness (POW) as per the Super-Advanced POW rules do still apply, but in these cases he is not to be considered suddenly "tired", nor do all "@" readings automatically turn into SINGLE**. But this DOES significantly speed up the pitcher's Pitch Count Fatigue deterioration.

Otherwise, in general, if the pitcher hasn't reached his POW per the Super-Advanced POW rules, he will gradually start losing points in his Condition (e.g. F8 -> F7) as he throws more pitches, once he has exceeded his Suggested Pitch Count for the game. However, if he has been pitching particularly well in his most recent innings, this rate of deterioration will be slower.

How Condition Affects Gameplay

Similar to POW, PCF affects readings on pitcher cards preceded by an "@", but it doesn't automatically turn them all into SINGLE**. Instead, it is a more gradual effect, and the variety of the resulting penalties is greater. Basically, once a pitcher's Condition falls below F9 (full strength), the chance of an "@" reading turning into a hit or a walk increases incrementally with each point descending towards F0. The hits can be singles, doubles, triples, or homeruns.

roniwas

PostMon Jan 16, 2023 9:05 am

That's all well and good. I understand the BP situation (I think), but for SP fatigue or pitch count how do you explain this outing of Feller's. I'm sure he would receive a pitch count prior to start of game higher than 88. Do runs scored in a previous outing have any effect? I just don't see anything in his performance that would warrant him being removed after 6 innings. Comments? https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/463370/306

jjii66

PostMon Jan 16, 2023 10:03 am

HAL pinch-hit for him... that's a whole different thing. Even if you set a pitcher to F0, HAL will pinch hit if the situation calls for it. There's no way (that I know of) to prevent it.

roniwas

PostMon Jan 16, 2023 1:11 pm

Ahhhh....I didn't think of that. Trailing 1-0 going into the 7th it might be a wise managerial situation to pinch hit and try to get something going. So HAL is showing his ability to strategize in the hope of producing some runs.

FrankieT

PostMon Jan 16, 2023 1:30 pm

Ha--and now after all the info, you can see why a few tactics/environments among many successful players are common:
- Stud starters; minimal bullpen
- DH
- platoons (maybe this case wasn't totally made, but in the current pricing structure they are economical)

Not the only way to succeed, but a higher margin way.
Thus the reason that if I am playing against the "big dogs", I prefer lower caps and non-DH.
Excited to see where your renewed journey takes you.
Cheers

roniwas

PostMon Jan 16, 2023 3:51 pm

How true, how true. And it's all due to the generous help of all you SOM'ers out there. Thanks again, all.

wolfefan

PostMon Jan 16, 2023 7:04 pm

This has been a fascinating thread to read - thanks to all!

STEVE F

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 10:48 am

wolfefan wrote:This has been a fascinating thread to read - thanks to all!

Agreed. I've enjoyed this thread immensely.

FrankieT

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 3:17 pm

Same!

and STEVE F --good to see you buddy

STEVE F

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 11:39 am

FrankieT wrote:Same!

and STEVE F --good to see you buddy

You too, man. I've been travelling so haven't been posting as much.
Cheers,
Steve
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats