Small ball...advicce, criticism etc.

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

egvrich

Re: Small ball...advicce, criticism etc.

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 10:44 am

To me, the keys to being successful playing small ball are: Speed, Defense and Pitching.

SPEED:
As the saying goes, "Speed Kills". A team full of all 17 rated runners puts a lot of pressure on the defense and the outfield arms in particular. When I have all (or nearly all) 17's on the base paths, I set my team to VERY AGGRESSIVE baserunning. You will take a ton of extra bases over the course of the season, far more extra bases than the times you get caught.

Base stealing is also critical. My small ball teams are typically all 17's and all A's or better, but preferably AA (19-15) stealers. They too put pressure on the defense and force teams to hold runners on which leads to more hits and batting averages often times higher than anticipated for the park you are playing in. I set my hitters to STEAL MORE and I set my team to CONSERVATIVE. Often times this will result in both leading the league in Steals and SB Success %. Typicall yielding a success rate in the 75%-80% range (with all AA's), sometimes you'll only by 70%-75%, but other times you'll be over 80%, that is affected by your opponents Pitchers hold ratings and catchers arms. Speaking of catcher's arms, I'll steal on a guy with a -2 arm but a 20 Throwing error rating all day long.

DEFENSE:
Preferably all 1's if feasible, but mandatory up the middle (SS, 2B & CF). No worse than 2's at the corner outfield positions and no worse than 3's at 1B, 3B and C. Low E ratings if possible. Minus arms in the OF, stronger the better for the same reason mentioned above, cut down on the extra bases taken against you. Catcher defense is highly underrated if you ask me. I'm not so much worried about the range rating, though I prefer a 1 or 2. But it's the other things, E rating, throwing arm, Passed Balls and Throwing Errors. I've seen Roger Bresnahan (who looks great as a small ball catcher at first glance) commit 50 errors in a season which is insane. And I've lost Championships due to a Passed Ball. Guys with bad PB ratings could give up 50 passed balls in a season. Personally, I almost always sacrifice offense and speed behind the plate, give me a good CHEAP defensive catcher (Molina) and I'm a happy guy.

PITCHING:
In a small ball park (Petco, Braves 38, Forbes 09, Griffith 41) you can go different directions, I've lead the league in pitching with $5-$6 mill starters because of my home park and the defense I put behind them. The key is getting pitchers who's price is artificially lower because they give up a lot of BP HR's.

In DH leagues (my preference), I do prefer all S9* rated pitchers, but will settle for the right S8*'s or even S7*'s. In a DH league where they won't get pulled for a pinch hitter, S7's will pitch many complete games if set to F0, F1, F2 or F3. The better the pitcher the lower the F rating I use. If you can't tell just by looking the cards over, sort to the pitchers with the lowest WHIP. Or use Diamond Dope, choose your park and download the player pool into an excel spreadsheet and sort by Batted Runs allowed. In DH leagues, I will have 4 Reliever Only and typically spend no more than $4 mill on my bullpen. If my starters are all S9's for example, I will have 2 9L's and 2 9R's , set them to quick hook, max 1-2 and avoid opposite side. I set NO roles. Let HAL make the choice and more often than not, he will do okay.

In Non-DH League, I am not as worried about the fatigue rating because I know many times a starter will get pulled for a pinch hitter. So I'll live with S6's, S7's and S8's. It's not worth spending the extra cash on an S9 who might only go 6-7 innings anyways. Set the starters fatigue ratings the same way, or even lower so they don't get pulled and ONLY get pinch hit for. (F0, F1 or F2). In Non-DH leagues, I typically carry a 5 man bullpen, 2 9L's and 2 9R's and one guy around $2 mill who is pretty solid (Turk Lown with -6 hold is a great example, super tough in Petco), set NO ROLES for this pitcher and HAL will choose him first almost every time. I also look for pitchers with a good hold rating. But if your catcher has a -4 arm, you can get by with guys with a + Hold rating. Still I like to get my combined pitcher/catcher ratings as close to -5 as possible (-5 is the best you get, anything better than that is overkill).

Bunting: A team full of A rated bunters when set to Bunt More and Very Aggressive can really play hell with a bad defensive team. If my team is pitching heavy, I will do more bunting because that means I've sacrificed offense for pitching and I need to manufacture runs. If I have a strong offensive team, I'll set bunting to conservative and leave the hitters unchecked. But any hitter rated as a BAD bunter will be checked Do Not Bunt.

Hit & Run: I don't really care about H & R. I have built Bunt Heavy teams and H & R heavy teams, the H & R teams never produced like expected, so I never encourage H & R. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But I have never seen the results to make it worthwhile.

Clutch: Clutch is fickle, I've built All Clutch teams and gotten an extra 45 hits in a season and I've also had All Clutch teams that only produced 15 extra hits a season. So I view clutch as nice, but not critical. And I follow the old school thought of putting my clutch hitters at 5 & 6 in the lineup.

gbA's: Look for hitters with LOW gbA's and pitchers with HIGH gbA's. With high gbA pitchers and all 1's on defense, you will very likely lead the league in Double Plays turned on defense which is great. For hitters, since runs are at a premium for a small ball team, you need to minimize the number of Double Plays you hit into, so look for low gbA hitters. Your number 2 hitter should be a low gbA guy (and an A bunter) on the assumption your leadoff man gets on base a lot, you don't want him wiped out on a double play before your 3 and 4 hitters step to the plate.

Here are some of my favorite players by position:

1B - Frank Chance & George Sisler.
2B - Frankie Frisch & Johnny Evers (if going cheap)
SS - Aparicio, Ozzie, Bush, Bowa
3B - Collins, Figgins
LF - Willie Wilson
CF - Lofton, Suzuki
RF - Suzuki, Gwynn
C - Molina, Petway, other Cheap 1's with good arms and good sub ratings.

That's all I can think of for now.
Last edited by egvrich on Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

egvrich

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 10:52 am

Outta Leftfield wrote:
egvrich wrote:Lot of information has already been shared, but if anyone is interested, I'll share my thoughts on Small Ball.

I'm sure we'd all love to hear your thoughts, egvrich. One question I've got right now is--how to deal with the raised prices of most of the top *SPs?

In ATG8, I used to have pretty good luck in 100M non-DH leagues with a staff of 4 Aces--guys like Maddux, Big Train, Alex, Walsh, etc, and maybe a cheaper 4th starter. This would still leave enough cash to support a pretty good small ball offense. With the price of the top SP*s going up $1M or more, that strategy seems a bit more problematic, since the same starting staff might cost 46M say, instead of 42M. That's money lost on the hitters. Anyway, I haven't had nearly as much success with the 4 Aces strategy as I used to.

My thought is to perhaps go with cheaper but still very good SPs* in the mid 9M to high 8M range. Those prices don't seem to have been much affected by the ATG9 switch. Then use a bit more than a mininum bullpen and put more $$ into the offense. I haven't had a chance to try this out since it recently occurred to me, but it seems to me to make sense. Any thought on the likely effectiveness of this approach?

Other ideas would also be most welcome.

OL, see my post for my thoughts on pitching these days. It really can be applied to any type of team.

roniwas

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 10:57 am

WOW Matt your Four Horseman team is really interesting. Like I've said in other posts, I'm really a pitcher guy and that team sure proves it can be done with high end pitchers. A lot of complete games?

Mattw0909

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 11:09 am

roniwas wrote:WOW Matt your Four Horseman team is really interesting. Like I've said in other posts, I'm really a pitcher guy and that team sure proves it can be done with high end pitchers. A lot of complete games?

70 complete games on the season , it was a no dh league though so could have been more with a dh. The next closest in the league was 51. F0 slow hook and all the team strategy settings for relief were set as conservative as possible
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats