Catcher injury?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

ScumbyJr

Re: Catcher injury?

PostSun Jan 08, 2023 10:15 pm

jjii66 wrote:I didn't realize it until I read this thread, but I just checked and the same thing happened to me a few games ago. Did you guys designate a backup catcher? I didn't, and I think maybe that's the issue.

No I didn't. However, I wonder if it depends on the defensive rating? Pizza is bad at C, worse than Ferguson.

FrankieT

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 1:02 am

I have had it rarely happen even when designating as backup.
Of course doing that can't hurt.
But this was why I mentioned my caution previously, because I don't recall the BU-catcher-as-DH tactic as being 100% reliable.

Curious if it still happens for you at all when designating as backup.

jjii66

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 10:20 am

I've got Piazza set as my backup catcher now, so I'll keep an eye on it... but Hartnett doesn't get hurt very often, so it may not come up again.

ScumbyJr

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 1:17 pm

jjii66 wrote:I've got Piazza set as my backup catcher now, so I'll keep an eye on it... but Hartnett doesn't get hurt very often, so it may not come up again.

That reminds me I have another team where Piazza (unlike the other team it is the better defense expensive one)is the DH. Bench is the other catcher. I checked and Gene Alley was the starting catcher while Bench was inured. Will now add Piazza as backup C too.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/fielding/1710076

killebrew3

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 6:15 pm

If the manager uses a non catcher if the backup is DH, does that make any of them, either the DH ( C ) or the substitute non-C, injury proof?

MaxPower

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 6:48 pm

The key in the situation being discussed is to have a backup DH specified, specifically one that is not already in the starting lineup. Under those conditions HAL should move the DH to C, otherwise he will leave him at DH. Starting DH is "stickier" than the other positions for some reason, there's actually a note about the issue at the bottom of every lineup page (dated 5 years ago lol but I'm sure they're making good progress on it).
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats