Catcher injury?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

killebrew3

Catcher injury?

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 2:20 pm

I have only two catcher eligible players on my roster, and both carry an injury risk of 4 or more. Do I ever have to worry about the game manager inserting one of my non-catchers into the lineup in the likely event my starting catcher gets hurt during the game? This is an auto league, so second catcher won't be a DH.

Re: Catcher injury?

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 9:24 pm

As long as no other player is able to catch you don't have anything to worry about your two catchers will not be injured at the same time.

killebrew3

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 5:59 am

Thanks, I assumed that was the case, the only exception might be if I had my second string catcher designated as the first option for pinch hitter and was already out of the game when an injury to the starting catcher occurs.

egvrich

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 12:09 pm

It doesn't really matter ... If you only have 2 catchers on the roster, once the first one gets injured, the second one becomes BULLETPROOF until the first one comes off the injured list.

FrankieT

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 3:03 pm

Yes but...
When you only have two, and are using the second as a DH, sometimes HAL does some weird things with lineups when and after an injury occurs.

I have had him insert a non-rated catcher at the position while leaving the second catcher as the DH (after the primary catcher was injured). This was even with the backups all set.

So you don't have to worry, but you should watch to see how an injury plays out.

djmacb

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 4:11 pm

FrankieT wrote:Yes but...
When you only have two, and are using the second as a DH, sometimes HAL does some weird things with lineups when and after an injury occurs.

I have had him insert a non-rated catcher at the position while leaving the second catcher as the DH (after the primary catcher was injured). This was even with the backups all set.

So you don't have to worry, but you should watch to see how an injury plays out.

If the DH becomes the replacement catcher, then the pitcher(s) would have to bat for the rest of the game. That's likely too complicated for HAL to deal with.

egvrich

PostSun Dec 11, 2022 8:17 pm

Only for the rest of that particular game.

ScumbyJr

PostSun Jan 08, 2023 7:17 pm

egvrich wrote:

Only for the rest of that particular game.

This team the 2nd catcher Piazza is remaining as DH even the following games.
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/fielding/1710995
I have Pizza at DH and has not played C when Ferguson gets hurt.My only catchers are Pizza and Ferguson
So far HAL has put in Jimmy Jordan, Bob Bailey, and in a bizarre triple switch my only 1B bulletproof Edgar Martinez. Ed goes to C-Rusty Kurtz moves from CF to 1B with Bill Virdon coming in off the bench replacing Kurtz at CF.

FrankieT

PostSun Jan 08, 2023 8:16 pm

Yup. I have been a victim as well. I don'tknow what triggers it because it doesn't happen all the time. But catchers as primary DHs and backup catcher...just watch HAL closely. Not as efficient as it seems.

Only 10 passed balls for Bailey ;)
Can you imagine what that would have looked like in real life!?

jjii66

PostSun Jan 08, 2023 9:31 pm

I didn't realize it until I read this thread, but I just checked and the same thing happened to me a few games ago. Did you guys designate a backup catcher? I didn't, and I think maybe that's the issue.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats