Same old complaint...

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

STEVENSTEFFANNI

Re: Same old complaint...

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 6:40 pm

chris.sied@yahoo.com wrote:so, you believe there is a module in the code that makes good players get injured more often? I am very unclear as to what your complaint is. It seems to me that you are complaining about "random chance" and how its not perfectly described by whatever you think it should be.
random is a word thrown around on here all the time Wagner has been injured 6 times on 2 of my active teams in the span of about 59 games for a total of 33 games missed not counting the games the injury was rolled in...I dont know if theres something fishy or not but when you are paying money and trying to win and good ole Hal pulls shit like this hearing people use the term random is hard to accept

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 6:48 pm

everything you say there implies you think the program is doing it on purpose

FrankieT

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 7:19 pm

chris.sied@yahoo.com wrote:everything you say there implies you think the program is doing it on purpose

It sounds that way.

After playing OOTP, I do have to admit something they do right in their "SOM365" type product...they use fatigue--no injuries. The regular desktop game uses injuries in whatever way you design the league. But the online part is different and works this way.

Pitchers get a stamina rating for starting and relieving. Kind of like a pitch count rating. 15 is like a closer. 100 is like a starter. It varies based on the pitcher's real life stats. And rest times vary based on role etc.

Same for hitters. You could prob use Edgar Martinez as a DH for a long time without a rest day, or Cal Ripken at SS. But try to use Joe Mauer at C for 6 days in a row and you will be hurting and it affects their performance.
The cool thing is the game engine shows every player's fatigue every day of the season, and you can set bench rotations in infinite ways. You can also force players to play at 30%, 10%, or even 0% but it affects their effectiveness.

Kinda cool because it takes the randomness out of it.
Or if you are STEVENSTEFFANI, takes out the part of the code that is targeting you... haha.

I guess I need to say that the above sentence is playful sarcasm before folks take that seriously.

AND--this is NOT an endorsement of the OOTP product. Just one example of an aspect I found compelling for dealing with this. It is extremely black box and anyone who complains about SOM's "randomness" would probably stroke out playing OOTP's online "Perfect Team" product. Not even an attempt to explain their product engine anywhere. Extremely tightly-controlled proprietary engine. Makes SOM look like an open book (which it mostly is and for the most part is what separates better managers)
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats