Dangerous Ballparks

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

FrankieT

Re: Dangerous Ballparks

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 10:38 pm

That is an intriguing hob-session and a fun website resource--thanks. And a dry-humor way of relating it too.

Cheers

BaseballFan25

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 10:50 am

It never occurred to me that some of these ballparks could be in dangerous areas, but it makes sense. I've only watched baseball games in Canada, but I never sensed anything too out of the ordinary.

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 8:25 pm

Lock your doors and get under the covers they are coming to get us.

PJ Axelsson

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 9:18 pm

https://www.stevenonthemove.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/a6fe7-p4080121.jpg

Hey Harper34, go to the old Huntington Avenue Grounds in Boston, and you can step up to the plate to face Cy Young. And it's safe, it's actually in the middle of Northeastern University now. If you manage to get a hold of one of Cy Young's pitches, then you'll probably break a window.

DOHowser1

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 10:29 pm

I recall taking my two boys to Tiger Stadium back in the 80's, to see the Blue Jays and Tigers play.

We drove from Toronto to Detroit, planning to buy tickets from a scalper. A few blocks from the ballpark, I found the scalper. Well long story short. I was the one that got scalped. Not only was I looking over my shoulder, hoping to escape unscathed, but not paying any attention to the three tickets I purchased. All I wanted to do, was get the three of us back to the park in one piece.

Well we did get back safe, and then found out one of our tickets was behind the plate. Another was down the right field line, and the other down the left field line.

In the end, we did find three non-occupied seats, in the left field bleachers.

We live to tell the story, and now one of my boys, joins me playing this crazy but entertaining game.

The Elder and Younger Howsers

goffchile

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 12:27 pm

I lived in the Detroit area for years and would concur that the stadium area was not great. Really sad what happened to downtown detroit--almost post-apocalyptic. Oddly, one gets used to it (as I did in many Detroit area neighborhoods) where you just know who to talk to and when to keep moving.

I loved that ballpark though.

tmm6883

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 4:55 pm

Been to Shea Stadium and then Citi Field literally hundreds of times. You can take the train and go right in or you can park in the street and walk in from Roosevelt Avenue and have never had a problem or heard of one going in or out. Been to Yankee Stadium, Citizens Bank in Philly and the “ old “ Turner Field in Atlanta. Never had a problem or didn’t feel safe.

XHowser Jr.

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 7:38 pm

DOHowser1 wrote:I recall taking my two boys to Tiger Stadium back in the 80's, to see the Blue Jays and Tigers play.

We drove from Toronto to Detroit, planning to buy tickets from a scalper. A few blocks from the ballpark, I found the scalper. Well long story short. I was the one that got scalped. Not only was I looking over my shoulder, hoping to escape unscathed, but not paying any attention to the three tickets I purchased. All I wanted to do, was get the three of us back to the park in one piece.

Well we did get back safe, and then found out one of our tickets was behind the plate. Another was down the right field line, and the other down the left field line.

In the end, we did find three non-occupied seats, in the left field bleachers.

We live to tell the story, and now one of my boys, joins me playing this crazy but entertaining game.

The Elder and Younger Howsers

I do remember going to Tiger Stadium but don't remember the scalper part of it. I do recall trying to find 3 seats together though. I remember thinking that the stadium was pretty amazing as all I could compare it to was the old Exhibition Stadium. Skydome wasn't around yet and Exhibition Stadium was not the best.

ScumbyJr

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 2:35 pm

This is 30 years ago, but went to Yankee Stadium once. All I remember is the area was pretty seedy and some guy in the median trying to sell a TV.

Went to Shea numerous times and don't recall it being dangerous at all. What I do remember is the annoying airplanes and always freezing in the stands because of the wind (same freezing wind at Giants stadium in NJ). Have to be two of the worst places to watch games.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats