HAL's subbing Molina for Yogi on defense! Team wins ring!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

chaberlal

Re: HAL's subbing Molina for Yogi on defense! How to stop?

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 4:12 pm

Get rid of Yogi...

:lol: 8-) :lol:

Outta Leftfield

Re: HAL's subbing Molina for Yogi on defense! How to stop?

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 10:18 am

chaberlal wrote:Get rid of Yogi...

:lol: 8-) :lol:

I suppose if I swapped Yogi for I-Rod (c-1(-5)e1,T-6(pb-1)), I might be safe. :lol:

BTW, this might be my favorite Yogi-ism, as reported in Sports Illustrated. Yogi later confirmed that he said it:
Once a man and woman came up to him at [Yogi's baseball] museum and asked him to invent a Yogi-ism, on the spot. He told them it doesn’t work that way... He said, “If I could just make ’em up on the spot, I’d be famous.” The couple laughed happily. Yogi Berra did not know what was so funny.

Outta Leftfield

Re: HAL's subbing Molina for Yogi on defense! Team wins ring

PostSun Dec 11, 2022 12:57 pm

Update [and happy ending]:
So, that team with HAL subbing Bengie Molina defensively for Yogi has just won a ring (on 86 seasonal wins). Although the team wasn't exactly dominant, and we may have lots a couple of games because Bengie subbed on defense, the result wasn't finally all that damaging. Or maybe, as supertyphoon suggested, maybe Bengie served as a bit of a good luck charm. Even so, Berra posted an .872 OPS over the course of the season, while Bengie's OPS was .280. And in the postseason, Yogi hit 5 HR in 11 games and drove in 14 runs. That's a pretty drastic cut in OPS for a marginal improvement in fielding.
Over the whole season, Bengie subbed on defense about 30 times, getting about 20 AB and only two hits or walks. Maybe the most frustrating aspect is the sense of a lack of control. I think I'll write to SOM at this point and hope to get for a favorable response to the idea of adding a Hitter Prefs option of "Don't Remove for Def Replacement." Here's the team, in case you're interested: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1701878
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats