Glorious Trivia Question

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

rburgh

Glorious Trivia Question

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 10:44 am

There was a dead ball era player nicknamed "Victory." Who was he and how did his nickname come about? I'll check back in a week with the answer. But I suspect some of you are as goofy as I am and know the answer.

djmacb

Re: Glorious Trivia Question

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 11:14 am

I don't remember his name off the top of my head, but he was with McGraw's Giants and he was more of a mascot than a player. I think he got into a couple of games over the course of several years. If I remember right he had mental health issues and died young.

rburgh

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 12:01 pm

Good grief. It took half an hour. Yes, his name was Charlie Faust and he joined the Giants in late July of 1911 , while they were in St. Louis, likely on the 29th when they were 3rd, 3.5 games out. Initially, they just let him run around on the field during batting practice and they won the final 3 games of that road series. But McGraw left him off the train for Pittsburgh and the Giants concluded the road trip by going 1-2 in both Pittsburgh and Chicago, returning home 2.5 games out and still in 3rd.

But Faust met them at the Polo Grounds and McGraw gave him a uniform. The Giants proceeded to go on a 32-8 tear. His SABR biography says that the Giants were 39-9, and 36-2 when he was in uniform, but I think they're wrong, although his on-again, off-again roster spot could mean that they are correct. He was with the team sporadically during their long August home stand, performing in vaudeville and briefly trying to hook on with the Dodgers. But McGraw took him with the team on their long September-October road trip. They went 19-4 (again, the SABR article has their record wrong, although several of the games were makeups of games that had been rained out in New York)) and returned home having clinched the pennant.

Once the Giants clinched, McGraw let him pitch the 9th inning a couple of times; he allowed 1 run in the two appearances and managed to score a run in the last game of the season.

djmacb

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 1:28 pm

I'm trying to remember where I read about him. I also remember when the Giants got a big lead, the players would shout "Let Charlie pitch!" to McGraw.

Bubblehead

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 7:37 pm

very nice trivia question, which shows a love of the history of the game.

Outta Leftfield

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 10:11 pm

If I recall correctly, Charlie "Victory" Faust is talked about in Ritter's The Glory of Their Times, or in one of the sequel oral memoirs by Donald Honig. I'm pretty sure that's where I heard about him.

djmacb

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 9:56 pm

Outta Leftfield wrote:If I recall correctly, Charlie "Victory" Faust is talked about in Ritter's The Glory of Their Times, or in one of the sequel oral memoirs by Donald Honig. I'm pretty sure that's where I heard about him.

Yes, it was Fred Snodgrass. Hopefully, Snow was more honest during his interview than Rube Marquard was.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats