Bullpen

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Bubblehead

Bullpen

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 5:16 pm

I play only ATG, and am one of those misguided individuals who is less-inclined to assign my best bullpen arm as a closer, and would really prefer that arm used in pressure situations - I've been studying the bullpen roles, and I'm seeking guidance on how to use those rules to do that, assuming I have four pure relievers with different levels of effectiveness (basically WHIP?). Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

andycummings65

Re: Bullpen

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 7:38 pm

I feel those spots are Middle Man and Setup

Bubblehead

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 8:14 pm

good advice, leading to further questions: if your best BP arm is your #1 Setup man, then will he be most likely to be the guy pitching in pressure situations? And should you restrict him to after 6 innings to seal that? Should he also be your #1 middle reliever, to make sure he catches the most of the pressure situations?
What I'd ike to do is leave closer blank, have the best arms for pressure situations, and ASSUME that Hal will bring in the best guy for a closer situation.
Is that stupid?

andycummings65

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 8:29 pm

It depends on what the rest of my pen looks like.
Normally, I want my best RP as Setup and Middle Man, marked to not enter in a blowout or before the 6th inning. If he's really good and the rest of my pen isn't the best, I may mark him Don't Relive B4 F8, so he will pitch until he tires, regardless of other pitcher's roles. In this instance, I would not Maximize a Closer, and as you suggested, may not even set a Closer.
Most of the time I get my second best RP to mirror those roles as well.

The Cap and what the rest of the pitching staff looks like have to be considered when making those decisions though.
I usually play in the 100m range.......

Bubblehead

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 11:14 am

Thanks, I'm gonna try that now -

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats