Aaron, Ruth, Pujols

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

FrankieT

Aaron, Ruth, Pujols

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 9:21 pm

I didn't leave a notable player off the top, I'm talking RBIs!

OK, setting that aside, I think Pujols compares very favorably to Aaron whether he passes Ruth or not.
Aaron's consistent and long-term production across many facets of the game is amazing and so was Pujols'.

On the latest media dust-up...Pujols got Jack Clark to retract his PEDs statement using firm legal pressure and not hot air, so I suggest the media personality review how that went down.

Pujols deserves props as a professional and great player.

Even though it is a prime example why I dislike the DH. I know I am in the minority there.
I think he will be a legitimate and worthy member of the 700 club in addition to the RBIs feat he has already achieved.

Palmtana

Re: Aaron, Ruth, Pujols

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 10:06 pm

I wonder how much greater his career stat line would have been had he stayed in St. Louis. He joined L.A. in 2012. That was his last year with an OPS over .800. 9 years in the desert as it turns out. Does anyone remember why he moved?
He's 11 RBI's behind The Babe and 94 behind Hank. If he would have stayed with the Cards I bet he would be at the top of the list.

700 would be nice. I'm just glad he hit #697 to pass A-Rod.

MaxPower

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 10:18 pm

He was a free agent and the Cardinals made the excruciating (yet in hindsight extremely wise) decision to not match the Angels' offer. I love that he got to finish up in St. Louis though, and that he's even having his most productive season in years. What a ballplayer, what a career. Might be the last guy we get to see hit 700.

STEVE F

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 12:28 am

If anyone can tell me the last time the Angels did ANYTHING right, I'd love to hear it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tip my cap to Albert Pujols, quite possible the best right handed hitter in history (top 3 at the very least)! I sure hope he gets 700 (and yes , I jumped up and down in my mind a little when he passed A Rod)

STEVENSTEFFANNI

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 10:42 am

If anyone can tell me the last time the Angels did ANYTHING right, I'd love to hear it :lol: :lol: :lol:........Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...signing Trout to that extension for that amount was foolish and those contracts to Pujols and Rendon guaranteed Angel fans more years of missing the playoffs...someone needs to tell the idiots they hire for GMs that pitching is what wins championships not paying a 31yr old who misses at least a month every season 40 mil aint gonna get it done

bkeat23

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 7:56 pm

STEVE F wrote:If anyone can tell me the last time the Angels did ANYTHING right, I'd love to hear it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tip my cap to Albert Pujols, quite possible the best right handed hitter in history (top 3 at the very least)! I sure hope he gets 700 (and yes , I jumped up and down in my mind a little when he passed A Rod)

They haven't screwed up Ohtani.......yet.

STEVE F

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 8:32 pm

bkeat23 wrote:
STEVE F wrote:If anyone can tell me the last time the Angels did ANYTHING right, I'd love to hear it :lol: :lol: :lol:

They haven't screwed up Ohtani.......yet.

I believe that they are. I think he should either pitch or hit, not both. But they are desperate, and this is going to catch up with him (and them).

Palmtana

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 12:03 am

Ohtani only has to put up with the LA silliness for one more year. Then he can go get his $50M/year.

freeman

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 11:27 am

I don't have faith in video game numbers by anyone who came up during the Steroids Era. Sorry, we're not in a court of law. I'm not making any allegations or trying to prove anything. No way am I putting him up with the guys you're comparing him with, though.

FrankieT

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 8:49 pm

Fair enough...it was an unfortunate period because it was so public and Congress felt the need to get involved and it made it even more of a spectacle. You expect Congress to act stupid, but this may have tainted anyone who was putting up numbers which is not fair but that's life.
I would say there were likely many others in other periods who also pursued whatever competitive advantage they could get their hands on, or maybe guys like spitballers, corkers, etc are in a similar light, but you know what I mean...we just didn't hear about it nor was most of those guys' careers forever marked.
Last edited by FrankieT on Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats