question on hit and runs

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

FrankieT

Re: question on hit and runs

PostWed Sep 14, 2022 7:01 pm

MaxPower wrote:I probably hit and run more than most. It can be a good play for weak hitters, including platoon guys facing a same-handed pitcher, if their rating is B

Maybe you do and I could be missing something. I definitely missed the HnR rating error in the earlier text.

But whenever I compare the HnR possibilities to a hitter's card, I usually only see it making sense for very weak hitters who have few productive out possibilities. Especially in small ball which I play a lot, where outs are precious and I think overuse of HnR is a prime reason for failing to score more runs with lower slugging teams.

Sometimes I see teams with guys like Frisch or Delahanty leading in sacrifices and looking at the team's HnR data...like the typical 8 hits in 50 tries or something.

There is the advantage of more productive outs, but even a guy like Maury Wills at low caps gives you that (to some degree) for free. And even when his gbB kills the lead runner, now he is on and can steal. Not a great tradeoff but that's how I look at it. Kind of a boundary example, unlike Delahanty, but same idea for me.

Depends on cap of course. I almost never use it above 100M unless a real scrub/bench guy. One other thing is it is more advantageous if a scrub is facing a stud like RJ who has lots of Ks and not many XBHs...changes the tradeoff.

But maybe I need to watch tradeoffs more closely
--Max may be kinda new but he is no doubt the top of any player that has under a few hundred leagues. Maybe no matter how many leagues. So worth paying attention to for sure.
Last edited by FrankieT on Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

FrankieT

PostWed Sep 14, 2022 7:06 pm

egvrich wrote:From my experience, aggressive bunting is far more productive than aggressive H & R.

Agreed. esp for an A bunter. And you are another resource I watch closely--especially for smallball strategies.

MaxPower

PostWed Sep 14, 2022 8:59 pm

I agree with most of that Frankie, it's really only for bench and platoon guys. I'd never bunt or H&R with someone like Delahanty.

I do think Corners In flips the correct play from bunt to hit and run in the large majority of situations. And given how aggressive HAL is with holding runners that's another factor in favor of H&R. But I don't use either strategy very much in 365. When I said I hit and run more than most I was probably conflating 365 with the Windows game a bit. It can be a good play if you can strictly control when to use it, but HAL does not deploy it optimally.

BaseballFan25

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 7:40 pm

Thanks for the tips, guys. What's interesting is that I like running 2-3 cheap batters on my lineup who are more there for defence. Setting them to hit and run could be interesting.

PostFri Sep 16, 2022 6:54 pm

My error when I said I use only A and B rated hit and run player cards , I was already doing the calculation of being bumped up by having * rated base stealers in front of them.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats