How would you prepare for an LD?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

How would you prepare for an LD?

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 2:29 pm

In a flight of whimsy joined a 251M LD. It will be my 2nd LD ever. I'm used to the higher cap but in ADs. It starts at 8p ET.

How would you best spend this time left in preparation?

I feel okay in my set knowledge, it is the fluid quality of LDs that I want to react to well.
My only thought is to assemble Top 5 lists of players for every position/category so starting there.
Maybe Top 10 lists?

Your thoughts are welcome. Pretty sure I'm not thinking of several important little strategy nuggets.

djmacb

Re: How would you prepare for an LD?

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 5:03 pm

You should go into the draft with an overall strategy - what type of ballpark do you want to play in? Righty, lefty, hitters park? Your lists of top players will be park dependent.

You also need to be prepared to modify your strategy based on how the draft plays out -> no plan survives first contact with the enemy. For example, if you want to play in a righty stadium and it appears 5 other teams are drafting for righties, you need to modify on the fly so that you're not shut out of the best players for that type of park. Also how others draft should drive your pitcher selections -> Hello Max Scherzer.

My .02 FWIW

kev

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 5:55 pm

For me, I set my queues in terms of buckets of players. For example queue 1 will be high value players who’s salary are lower but need to be picked earlier (ie arkry, kiner( thome) so I don’t forget about top players. Queue 2 is a whack of extreme platoon players (Lez, Kaline, arranado, tip O’Neil etc) so I can fill in picks based on team needs. Queue 3 are, for me, relievers so I know if that stuff is drying up as I generally let them slide to the last minute.

that me, as it set up to help me with some my weaknesses (not getting the right platoon or drafting relievers too earlier or forgetting about goslin) and where the top palyers on the board are not the ones you need to be picking (kemp, betts etc) in high cap and just cause noise on the board. Clearly you have to set the pick the zero as you just don’t want that order

Kev

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 7:54 pm

Great stuff! Just what I was looking for. Thanks fellas. More later, immersed atm.

Egnaro

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 10:47 am

So what did you think? I enjoy the Friday Night High Dollar drafts (though I could not do last night).

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats