dumb league

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

danielz

dumb league

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 5:27 pm

Why would someone join a league where you were guaranteed Charleston while the league creator was guaranteed Ruth?

egvrich

Re: dumb league

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 7:28 am

You wouldn't. This happens all the time, people come up with hair brained theme leagues that benefit the creator more than everyone else and then wonder why no one joins.

A year or two back, a guy created a league where pretty much he got his first choice of players and then everyone else got to pick and he got offended when I predicted that no one would ever join his league ... BTW ... I was right and he cancelled the league a few days later after ranting on the boards about why no one was joining his league. :shock: :roll: :lol:

Salty

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 7:53 am

danielz wrote:Why would someone join a league where you were guaranteed Charleston while the league creator was guaranteed Ruth?

This league was created after a couple of big missteps in making the concept.

First he created a league where you got 1 stud hitter and 1 stud pitcher which evened it out a little bit-
however instead of 12 pairs he made 13 and neglected to say whether you needed to put your pair on your draft card.
so...most folks did, some didn't- but it caused some real issues when those players showed up on other teams as comps for very high picks.

Second- that league was agreed to be disbanded so the rules could be set straight and everyone was going to rejoin...except he neglected to make the league private, so a few of us had teams taken by others-
which btw, not an issue but you had gotten my pair of Josh Gibs and Walter Johnson.

Third- people got fed up with the fact that the league was not made private and started to leave.

Fourth- he created a simpler league where everyone gets 1 stud - of course, yes, its like designating yourself 1st pick of all players for free.

Anyway...thats the whole of what happened.

pacoboy

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 8:08 am

I laugh at those….not the guy who created it but the people who fill it.

My favorite are the franchise leagues where the guy takes the Yankees

ratioman2

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 9:55 am

Agreed Pacoboy, or the franchise leagues where "no Yankees to make it fair - but I'll take the Red Sox" (meaning I get Ruth). We used to get frequent two or four round message board draft leagues of franchise leagues, or teammates leagues, or just other fun theme leagues, but there would always be one person who "just can't get to the message boards" for days and ruins the mood. Who in America doesn't have a smart phone by now?

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats