Need Help With Teams!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

shootthe3

Need Help With Teams!

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 9:57 pm

Gents, I've been playing since pre-covid and for the most part I don't win much (except by luck). I don't really know how to read the cards say for what a normal person would see looking at them. I've played in some other leagues but any help on how to build a team and how to read stats better would definitely be appreciated.

Here's a current team and don't mind any criticism or advice for sure :)

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1683767

Thanks,

Scott

andycummings65

Re: Need Help With Teams!

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 10:02 pm

Biggest thing, by far, is all the drops and adds you made. After all those transactions, you were going to battle with a team value of 71m playing teams with 80m value. When you make all those transactions, the penalties kill your roster value.

Try diamonddope.com to get an idea of how cards perform.

(May want to put this in the All-Time Greats forum instead of here; should get more help there.)

Palmtana

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 10:09 pm

I've copied this to the ATG Forum.

shootthe3

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 10:23 pm

Thanks gents, I think I have a good team put together and then we end up being 30 games under .500.

mighty moose

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 10:39 pm

Read the below thread in the Barnstormers Forum.

You simply will go LOWER and LOWER in the standings when you reduce your overall team value. And you do nothing more than HURT the league.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=642301

MM

shootthe3

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 10:54 pm

mighty moose wrote:Read the below thread in the Barnstormers Forum.

You simply will go LOWER and LOWER in the standings when you reduce your overall team value. And you do nothing more than HURT the league.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=642301

MM

Thanks, makes sense for sure. However, on a more specific note how do you put together a solid team without making wholesale changes? I've done tons of research but because I did not play this game as a kid, the cards don't seem to match what I think they should be doing.

mighty moose

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 11:46 pm

You might try studying some teams of the Barnstormers Tournament. The best players know how to make adjustments without dropping salary. Tournament top players will NEVER cheapen their team overall value.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/tournament/43

shootthe3

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 1:56 pm

mighty moose wrote:You might try studying some teams of the Barnstormers Tournament. The best players know how to make adjustments without dropping salary. Tournament top players will NEVER cheapen their team overall value.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/tournament/43

Thank you!

jjii66

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 3:14 pm

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but it's very important to match your hitters to your ballpark. You chose an extremely crooked ballpark-- great for LH homers, bad for everything else-- so ideally, you need an entire lineup of LH power hitters. That gives you a nice home field advantage.

egvrich

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 7:41 am

shootthe3 wrote:Gents, I've been playing since pre-covid and for the most part I don't win much (except by luck). I don't really know how to read the cards say for what a normal person would see looking at them. I've played in some other leagues but any help on how to build a team and how to read stats better would definitely be appreciated.

Here's a current team and don't mind any criticism or advice for sure :)

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1683767

Thanks,

Scott

It's all the little things and they all add up. You need to match your players to your park as well as to compete in your division based on what you 3 division mate's teams look like.

But at first glance in your park, the following pitchers are totally out of place: Sutton, Burris, Wells, Martinez. Your park favors lefty power hitters and those pitchers are WORSE against lefty hitters. Sutton and Wells give up a ton of Ballpark HR's to lefty hitters in particular.

Too much spent on relievers IMHO.

Same problem with hitters, the following hitters don't belong on Shea: Gardner & Fernandez (no power in a lefty power hitter's park).

And who is Lowenstein platooning with? Larkin? Bad choice, you need a lefty killer and that is not Larkin.

And is Cecil Travis platooning at 2nd??? Never in a million years should you put a 4e25 at 2nd Base.

And while Cardenas is fine as a DH or PH, he shouldn't probably be an every day platoon starter at 3rd Base either.

4's in the outfield can really kill pitchers, they don't get to any balls creating a lot of extra hits.

And the obvious too many adds and drops which killed your team value.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats