How many HRs every park HR 1-19 and no pitchers over 1 mil?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Salty

Re: How many HRs every park HR 1-19 and no pitchers over 1 m

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 11:21 pm

ScumbyJr wrote:
Salty wrote:
MaxPower wrote:I'm on pins and needles waiting to find out what Salty thinks is going on here. Several of those Chicks leagues linked earlier also had only two players with over 100 homers. Perhaps the "explanation" is "the cards are performing within the range of expectations"?

Yeah- except not EVERY stadium was HR 1-19 so try again-
Is it just a bit too much for you to stop making comparisons that are purposely different?

Don't know how much difference it made, but when the ATG prices changed it took pitchers such as favorite Ernie Koob above the threshold and out of the league.

Definitely a factor- not sure how much exactly
but for sure you can see that even the best pitcher were giving up lots of hits/walks, meaning more ABs overall

Salty

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 11:26 pm

MaxPower wrote:So we have established that when you replied to me "Yeah- except not EVERY stadium was HR 1-19 so try again- Is it just a bit too much for you to stop making comparisons that are purposely different?" I was not in fact "making comparisons that are purposely different" and the leagues in question average very close to 19/19, meaning your reply was both incorrect as well as pointlessly bitchy.

At any rate, I appreciate you refraining from polluting the boards with your conspiracy nonsense again, thank you for showing some restraint at the last moment.

Like I said, you can't help but try to make it a pissing thing bc thats just who you are. Its cool though,
pufferfish are part of the universe too.

gkhd11a

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 11:37 pm

How many Home runs do you think Bonds should hit? With 823 at bats and 246 against left handed pitchers and 577 against right handed pitchers from his card on 50% of the rolls you would expect 24 HR's against the left handers 123 plate appearances times the 19.57% chance of a home run and against righties you would expect 74 home runs in 577 plate appearances with 288 rolls on his card at a 25.8% chance of a Home Run for a total of 98. This means you would expect 98 Home Runs for Bonds on his card, in the other 329 rolls on the pitchers cards how many Home runs do you expect? If all 22 of these extra home runs came on the pitchers card that is 6.7% Home runs on the pitchers card. Bonds did outperform expectations

Billy Hamilton played in the league and got 14 Home Runs so it would appear somewhere between 4 and 6 1/2 % would be an expected amount off of the pitchers card, but maybe you have a more nuanced and developed determination of home runs off the pitchers cards.

Jimmy Foxx was third in your league in home runs, he has a 17.3% chance of a home run and had 914 plate appearances for 457 expected on his card for 79 expected home runs for him off his card, ended up with another 19 off pitchers cards for a total of 98 if you assume the excess was off of pitchers cards.

Salty

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 11:53 pm

gkhd11a wrote:How many Home runs do you think Bonds should hit? With 823 at bats and 246 against left handed pitchers and 577 against right handed pitchers from his card on 50% of the rolls you would expect 24 HR's against the left handers 123 plate appearances times the 19.57% chance of a home run and against righties you would expect 74 home runs in 577 plate appearances with 288 rolls on his card at a 25.8% chance of a Home Run for a total of 98. This means you would expect 98 Home Runs for Bonds on his card, in the other 329 rolls on the pitchers cards how many Home runs do you expect? If all 22 of these extra home runs came on the pitchers card that is 6.7% Home runs on the pitchers card. Bonds did outperform expectations

Billy Hamilton played in the league and got 14 Home Runs so it would appear somewhere between 4 and 6 1/2 % would be an expected amount off of the pitchers card, but maybe you have a more nuanced and developed determination of home runs off the pitchers cards.

Jimmy Foxx was third in your league in home runs, he has a 17.3% chance of a home run and had 914 plate appearances for 457 expected on his card for 79 expected home runs for him off his card, ended up with another 19 off pitchers cards for a total of 98 if you assume the excess was off of pitchers cards.

Charlie,
HUH???
Bonds had 391 'rolls' on pitchers card not 329
also am not sure where you are getting the 288 rolls on the hitters card from - we cant see the actual breakdown of which abs against l or r were on which cards can we?

gkhd11a

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 12:38 am

Salty wrote:
gkhd11a wrote:How many Home runs do you think Bonds should hit? With 823 at bats and 246 against left handed pitchers and 577 against right handed pitchers from his card on 50% of the rolls you would expect 24 HR's against the left handers 123 plate appearances times the 19.57% chance of a home run and against righties you would expect 74 home runs in 577 plate appearances with 288 rolls on his card at a 25.8% chance of a Home Run for a total of 98. This means you would expect 98 Home Runs for Bonds on his card, in the other 329 rolls on the pitchers cards how many Home runs do you expect? If all 22 of these extra home runs came on the pitchers card that is 6.7% Home runs on the pitchers card. Bonds did outperform expectations

Charlie,
HUH???
Bonds had 391 'rolls' on pitchers card not 329
also am not sure where you are getting the 288 rolls on the hitters card from - we cant see the actual breakdown of which abs against l or r were on which cards can we?

That is why I used the word "Expected" this was your original question how many home runs do you expect? The 288 was 50% of the 567 at bats vs right handed pitchers, this is what is expected. As I said Bonds did better than expected. Also 20% of the rolls on the pitchers card are dependent on the defense and not the pitcher, so those are actually not rolls dependent on the pitcher.

Still, how did you determine what each player should hit in home runs in this league? What did you expect? Did you expect the Hamiltons of the leagues with no Home runs on their card to get 25-30 home runs off of pitchers cards? Because Bonds does not get more home runs off the pitchers card than Hamilton. So a great place to start is what do you expect someone who is an N should get with no HR's on his card and how do you determine what that value should be. Because every other players Expected Home Runs off of their card can be calculated

MaxPower

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 12:46 am

Salty wrote:
MaxPower wrote:So we have established that when you replied to me "Yeah- except not EVERY stadium was HR 1-19 so try again- Is it just a bit too much for you to stop making comparisons that are purposely different?" I was not in fact "making comparisons that are purposely different" and the leagues in question average very close to 19/19, meaning your reply was both incorrect as well as pointlessly bitchy.

At any rate, I appreciate you refraining from polluting the boards with your conspiracy nonsense again, thank you for showing some restraint at the last moment.

I'm sorry I falsely accused you of intentionally making bad comparisons to suit your argument. I was completely wrong about that, the leagues are in fact quite similar and comparable, that was my mistake and I apologize for jumping down your throat for no reason.

All good man! Nice when folks are able to admit they were wrong.

supertyphoon

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 1:47 am

If someone wanted to push this to the absolute limit you could narrow down the pool of available pitchers to the dregs at the bottom of the salary scale. Maybe capping it at $1 million is too generous. If you look at the SP and RP we use in the Chicks Dig the Long Ball leagues, the lowest salary guys that make a roster are extreme cases like Doug Bair. In a beauty contest where everyone is ugly the girl with the fewest blemishes wins. Ray Caldwell was drafted in the middle of the first round this week.

If you limited it to the cheapest 60 starters and 60 RP-only then you would see the league ETA explode from the 13.00 to 13.50 range to who knows what is possible. I can't imagine how putrid the pitching stats would be if 0.50 Gaylord Perry was the ace of the staff.

Ideally all teams in the league would agree to draft the same exact ten SP and RP, which would force the algorithm to randomly assign cheap replacement pitchers for each team, possibly even breaking the rules by forcing it to find higher priced replacements for the ones on their draft list.

ScumbyJr

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 6:33 am

I interrupt this thread to give a shout out to the putrid pitchers. Somehow cheap Doc Medich pitched a complete game no-hitter against of Hall-of-Famer lineup in a Chicks league.

Salty

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 7:14 am

gkhd11a wrote:
That is why I used the word "Expected" this was your original question how many home runs do you expect? The 288 was 50% of the 567 at bats vs right handed pitchers, this is what is expected. As I said Bonds did better than expected. Also 20% of the rolls on the pitchers card are dependent on the defense and not the pitcher, so those are actually not rolls dependent on the pitcher.

Still, how did you determine what each player should hit in home runs in this league? What did you expect? Did you expect the Hamiltons of the leagues with no Home runs on their card to get 25-30 home runs off of pitchers cards? Because Bonds does not get more home runs off the pitchers card than Hamilton. So a great place to start is what do you expect someone who is an N should get with no HR's on his card and how do you determine what that value should be. Because every other players Expected Home Runs off of their card can be calculated

'Expected' - but you got some of the calculations incorrectly yeah?
There are more rolls on the pitchers cards than you've accounted for...the amount of rolls 'dependent' on defense aren't separate from total rolls on the pitchers card OR the hitters cards- the amount of X for defense is already built into the formula.

Salty

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 7:22 am

MaxPower wrote:
Salty wrote:

I'm sorry I falsely accused you of intentionally making bad comparisons to suit your argument. I was completely wrong about that, the leagues are in fact quite similar and comparable, that was my mistake and I apologize for jumping down your throat for no reason.

All good man! Nice when folks are able to admit they were wrong.

LOL- urinate away dude.
BP singles matter too- since they create more ABs-
Ill agree a lot of these leagues had similar stadiums but most still had at least SOME lesser bp hits overall.
Anyway- have fun with yourself-
I cant take you too seriously, in fact its confusing to me why you don't just
go play some math algorithm game, since you assert everyone should treat the game like a math problem and ignore the baseball aspect altogether-
Like hey, Ive just copied everyone's strategies, and maximized them- look at me, a totally original thinker. :D
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats