Salary Floor

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

supertyphoon

Salary Floor

PostWed Jun 15, 2022 3:55 pm

I'm glad they finally got around to addressing and fixing this problem. However, it has never seemed to be a big or pervasive issue in most of the leagues I've been in, usually it's just rookie managers churning through roster changes as they try to figure out how to win, without realizing the damage they were doing to their team and the integrity of the league by increasing the chances the wild card team would come out of their division. But it does prevent the disgruntled sore losers from nuking their teams, so kudos to SOM, well done!

MaxPower

Re: Salary Floor

PostWed Jun 15, 2022 6:40 pm

A welcome and obvious change, not sure why it took 20 years but hey, better late than never

freeman

PostFri Jun 17, 2022 12:52 am

Well, they're probably just diligently working their way through customer complaints/suggestions/requests from 2002. You got to have a little patience..

mighty moose

PostFri Jun 17, 2022 1:43 am

On the contrary. Barnstormers always gets a large number of newbies every year that harm their leagues by dumping. This is unwelcome and I often requested that SOM help us to find a way to curb it. It takes up their time for me to ask them to "take over" and fix such a team, so I am sure they realized a fix was needed. Moreso in the past few years than ever before due to their advertising all the "tournaments".

It was told to me quite some time ago (a year) that they wanted to put something in place.

As we welcomed letting us work with them on making the live draft viable, the tournament INVITE feature and now the salary cap fix - plus inplementing the commish controls for private leagues, their mods are a combination of the Barnstormers requests and the other tournament commish's joined with us.

I am extremely grateful for SOMS mods that make things easier for ALL of US. The worst thing is to have a newbie in your league messing things up for EVERYONE.

This is NOT something we have waited "20 years" for them to fix, and it's only in place for the newbie autoleagues AND the commish controls in private and/or tournament leagues as an optional switch.

MaxPower

PostFri Jun 17, 2022 2:01 am

The announcement says it's optional for all user-created leagues.

Obviously I haven't been waiting 20 years on this fix as I've only been playing a couple years. The 20 years crack was mostly about how presumably SOM was getting reports of tanking teams affecting league integrity from the game's inception. Because tanking teams do quite obviously affect league integrity. And it only took them 20 years since those first reports to act on them. Maybe your first formal report as tournament commish was more recent than that, but the issue was obviously around since the beginning.

mighty moose

PostSat Jun 18, 2022 12:36 pm

I'd prefer that SOM be praised for bringing new features to us rather than a select few constantly ragging on them all the time. They are a small company and they have limitations as to what they can do. This is something that help all league creators will benefit from. Leave it at that.

Outta Leftfield

PostSat Jun 18, 2022 10:26 pm

I have a problem with the fact that the salary floor applies even prior to waivers. I'm in a new 140M league and I must maintain a salary level of 126M even prior to waivers. I think this is just dumb, and I object to this very strenously. Why should I be hamstrung in making pre-waiver moves by a rule that might make sense once the playing starts, but doesn't make any sense, at least to me, while teams are being put together before the season, and especially pre-waivers.
As an example, I drafted a team for a lefty park and got Cy Young in the auto-draft when I missed a LH SP. I don't plan to use Young and doubt that he has any trade value. But what happens when I try to drop Young? I can't, because the Salary Floor applies even during waivers. Here's what I get:
Free Agent Transaction
You've chosen to drop: Young, Cy (1901) ($8,910,000)
Your current funds: $9,530,000
Your resulting funds: $18,440,000
You're unable to execute this transaction for the following reasons:
- This move would put your total team salary at $121,560,000, which is under the required minimum of $126,000,000.
- You may not pick up any players until the Waivers period is over.
Go back.

I meet the other roster requirements for dropping Young. But now I can't drop him because this new Salary Floor applies even before waivers. ARRGGGHHHH. This really limits my freedom of action when I try to plan my moves during waivers. I like to clear my roster of unwanted players so that I can be free to pick up the players I want during waivers.
I am an experienced and extremely competitive player. Dropping Young before waivers has nothing to do with tanking. Why should I be forced to hold onto I player I don't want, never intended to draft, can't trade, and won't use, when I fully intend to invest every cent of my 140M before the season starts? I almost never drop a player during the regular season. Why can't I drop Young before waivers? I feel that this rule is stifling to competition.
I'd like to ask SOM to reconsider this particular aspect of the rule. I'm my view, a required miminum of $126M in a 140M should only apply when the season starts. Does anyone agree with me? If you don't agree, could you explain the rationale for this pre-waiver rule?
Last edited by Outta Leftfield on Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxPower

PostSat Jun 18, 2022 10:35 pm

Oh wow, I had no idea they were enforcing it in the preseason. That is completely asinine and I agree it needs to be changed ASAP. It should quite obviously only apply to drops that occur after Opening Night. Amazing that they managed to fuck up something so simple.

chaberlal

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 12:40 am

Yes they are enforcing it in the pre-season...

WTF !!!

:shock: :o :shock:

I entered a team in Alphabet League 2... The salary cap is 120M$...

I hurried to get a team in because I wanted to make sure I got letter M...

So I drafted the first 28 M players that totaled 71M$...

Once my team got drafted... I'm unable to make any roster moves because HAL, that stupid bastard, tells me NO... the reason being that the move would leave me under the 108M$ minimum cap...

HOW INCREDIBLY STUPID !!!

chaberlal

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 12:45 am

There... to make sure everyone understands, here are the rosters of Alphabet League 2...

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/460812

My team is Majestic Maulers, but look at Holland Homers who's also stuffed...

Charles/chaberlal
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats