database of ~400 ATG9 leagues

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

MaxPower

database of ~400 ATG9 leagues

PostSat May 28, 2022 1:27 am

Hi all, here is a database of around 400 ATG leagues, spanning from the beginning of ATG9 until ~Fall 2020. This is all the data I ever scraped. The column headings should be pretty self-explanatory. All I ask is that if you use it for analysis or a project or whatever, consider posting your findings in the forum in the same spirit that I'm posting the data. Would love to know what kind of ideas people have for this and what stuff they learn from it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... K6jHR93wk/

childsmwc

Re: database of ~400 ATG9 leagues

PostTue May 31, 2022 8:03 pm

Max,

Are these pulled based on opening day rosters, or some other point in time? I tried to incorporate usage information into pricing at one time, but the data pull from strat was based on draft cards, which did not give me a good indication of which year was ultimately used (i.e. lowest cost card would be drafted, but then swapped out before opening day to the best value card).

I might be able to extract an adjustment model out of this data if it is based on opening day or final rosters.

MaxPower

PostTue May 31, 2022 8:09 pm

Final rosters

Hack Wilson

PostTue May 31, 2022 8:58 pm

Hello Max,
Just wondering -- I've never scraped data. How much more, do you think, I could increase my winning percentage if I did? I just use Diamonddope mainly. My question, is it worth it to scrape and analyze, and if so, please quantify.

Cheers,

Hack

MaxPower

PostTue May 31, 2022 9:31 pm

The data on Diamond Dope is orders of magnitude more important than anything I scraped. The stuff in this database is mostly about small improvements on the margins - what is the run environment at each cap, how do the parks affect that environment, how should I order my draft card considering each player's popularity. All of that is small potatoes compared to accurately valuing the cards in the first instance, which Diamond Dope makes possible.

If you do want to experiment with scraping, and like me don't know how to write any code, I tried several different browser extensions before landing on Parsehub, which is the only one I've gotten to work and I highly recommend.

nevdully's

PostWed Jun 01, 2022 12:44 am

"how should I order my draft card considering each player's popularity." "Small improvements around the margins" (PUKE, VOMIT, RETCH, SICKENING)...can you be more disingenuous?

Why not ask owners where they list their desired players, yeah that'd go over well....and SOM wouldn't mind. :roll:

MaxPower

PostWed Jun 01, 2022 1:54 am

nevdully's wrote:"how should I order my draft card considering each player's popularity." "Small improvements around the margins" (PUKE, VOMIT, RETCH, SICKENING)...can you be more disingenuous?

Why not ask owners where they list their desired players, yeah that'd go over well....and SOM wouldn't mind. :roll:

What exactly is your problem nev. I assume this is how everyone orders their draft cards, putting the most popular players at the top. As a new player I had no idea who the most popular players were, so I decided to find out.

And what am I being disingenuous about? I'm literally sharing my data with everyone else, so any advantage I ever gained from it is now moot. And yes, it turns out that any advantage was small (which quite honestly is why I'm willing to share it). At low caps I can miss every player on my draft card and the difference between those players and their replacements is minimal. And at high caps everyone wants all the same players, so the database provides essentially no useful information as far as ranking order. And at any cap, the database wasn't telling me anything that veteran players don't already know from all their experience. If the database was doing anything, it was erasing the disadvantage that new players are at when ranking a draft card, not conferring any special advantage. And yes, Strat SHOULD publish the % of auto-leagues every player is owned in as a way to help flatten the learning curve for new players.

Please try to make intelligent contributions instead of just making puking sounds like an 8 year-old.

nevdully's

PostWed Jun 01, 2022 2:47 am

Yeah, no advantage knowing a competitors drafting strategy....Why don't you show us your draft cards...might be a few of us here that could glean more than some marginal advantage from that don't ya think? :roll:

nevdully's

PostWed Jun 01, 2022 2:51 am

As far as I'm concerned you're a duplicitous cheat.

MaxPower

PostWed Jun 01, 2022 3:46 am

I'm going to try to say this as clearly as possible in the hopes that it pierces the fog surrounding your paranoid, addled, sundowning boomer brain: I have never had the means nor the inclination to view anyone else's draft card, and therefore have never had any insight into any individual player's drafting strategy. When I talk about card popularity I am talking about the percentage of leagues at a given cap in which an individual card is owned. This is data that is available on the rosters page of any league. And is now available to you and everyone else. I never had the inclination to explore the favorite players of any individual competitors because that is a level of granularity that I don't believe would be valuable, because, again, repeat after me: drafts at low caps are irrelevant. If you miss your players you get someone virtually just as good as a replacement. And drafts at high caps are a crapshoot where everyone is targeting the same players.

If I was engaged in some fuckery involving draft cards, surely high cap leagues would be the place to do it, yes? Where the drafts actually matter? I have played in exactly 15 high cap leagues. Here is my waiver position in each of them: 1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 9, 1, 1, 1. Surely if I had some special insight into the drafting habits of my competitors, I would not be consistently at the top of the waiver wire following a draft.

Listen man. The only reason you think I'm "cheating" is because you're too dense to understand what I'm doing to begin with. And again, the fact that you and everyone else now has access to my data makes your objections even more nonsensical than they were to begin with (and they were already 100% nonsensical to begin with). So kindly fuck off out of this thread with your nonsense. I tried to do something nice for the community by sharing my database and I'd like to keep it on topic if you don't mind. Go start a new thread for your paranoid bullshit if you feel the need to continue.
Last edited by MaxPower on Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats