Ballpark Effects

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Salty

Re: Ballpark Effects

PostSat May 28, 2022 11:01 am

MaxPower wrote:
Salty wrote:1. If SoM intended for everyone to be able to view results from every league, that should
be either explicitly permissable, or not.

I would argue that SOM does in fact intend for everyone to be able to view results from every league, as evidenced by their allowing everyone to view results from every league.

So, simply, no- this is not only poor logic but definitely incorrect.

1. SoM has on multiple occasions not been aware that people were easily able to access things and 'fixed' those bugs after people were upset about it.
2. The logic of 'if they didn't intend me to do it, they would've done X' is an absolute logical fallacy. Its simply an absolute flaw in logical thinking.
Here are a couple of many examples that could be given:
If they didn't want me to steal then they should've had tighter security.
If they didn't want me to set fire to the place they wouldn't have left matches in the kitchen drawer.

MaxPower

PostSat May 28, 2022 9:45 pm

Can't believe you're still going man. Truly impressive commitment to the bit.

It is your contention that SOM may not be aware that every league is available to be examined by anyone? They may be under the mistaken impression that if I link a league in the forum, like so https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/459743 that the only people who can examine the league are the 12 people who participated in the league and everyone else gets a dead link? That is one of the more asinine positions you've taken throughout this whole ordeal, which is truly saying something at this point.

Salty

PostSun May 29, 2022 8:19 am

So if you think the argument Im making has changed in some way then you clearly
never understood what was being said.

In summary this is what you've argued:
1. Its innocuous data, no big deal
2. everybody can get the data
3. you don't understand the data ive taken
4. by not placing specific safegaurds on it the company intended for me to take it
5. if you wanted my data you should've said so
6. now you are telling me taking the data was the issue?
7. well, I may have taken the data used it to optimize my choices of players and environments
but bc its a math problem there are no ethical considerations involved
8. what, you're still at it?

PS- just bc i got info on what everyone ELSE, not me, everyone else has done, treated like a math problem with input and output its all original thinking- why doesn't everyone think originally just like me?

PPS- If the game is a math problem then why not go do math problems? why involve baseball at all?

MaxPower

PostSun May 29, 2022 3:20 pm

Salty that is a surprisingly fair summary of my positions and I do not dispute your characterization of any of them, not even being sarcastic. Glad you've been able to follow them and repeat them back to me. If you don't mind I have just a few more questions because I really would like to better understand your concerns.

Here is another page maintained by SOM with links to hundreds of teams and leagues, although you contend that SOM may be under the mistaken impression for the last 20 years that those are just dead links for everyone except the original league participants.

But setting that aside, would it be ethical for you or me to examine the data from those teams and leagues?

Have you ever examined the data from a league you did not originally participate in? What if I invite you to examine the data from a league that I am in and link you to the league - https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/459743 - would you first seek the permission of the 11 other owners before following the link?

Since you believe my data was obtained through unethical means, should I NOT share my database with the community like I have, lest other folks view the ill-gotten data and their souls be corrupted as mine has been? Should I go take it down?

Salty

PostSun May 29, 2022 10:57 pm

Honestly- dont know what the best thing to do once the genie is out of the bottle.

Maybe posting it for everyone to see makes it better- really I dont know.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats