Ballpark Effects

Moderator: Palmtana

  • Author
  • Message
Offline

MaxPower

  • Posts: 470
  • Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:12 am

Re: Ballpark Effects

PostWed May 25, 2022 10:55 pm

Not sure why you're copy-pasting that section of the wiki but given how few people seem to have actually read the wiki, post away~
Offline

Salty

  • Posts: 1635
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Ballpark Effects

PostThu May 26, 2022 9:09 am

gkhd11a wrote:Correct Board Game Excesses - This is a black box in which the game adjusts the ability of certain players to get certain stats.
So that people know that changing results is a feature not a bug: The dice displayed as the result is meaningless because they are not random, they are the result of a program deciding what dice to display.

For the long time Strat-O-Matic board game player the tradeoff is getting an improved game at the cost of a slight loss of game engine visibility.

So, just how is the game engine altered? Well, this depends upon the mix of Maximum Rules that are in play, but the game engine changes fall into one or more of the following categories:

DICE ADJUSTMENTS - Random numbers are used with a series of complex calculations to determine whether or not to override certain play results. If this determination is made another dice roll is made internally and the final play result is displayed on the screen. The on screen dice do not animate until the final play result has been determined.

SPLIT ADJUSTMENTS - Random numbers are used, again with a variety of calculations, to determine whether or not split card readings are to be overriden. The split result is not animated until a final determination is made of the play.

CARD ADJUSTMENTS - Certain portions of card results are overriden. For example, say you turn on the "More baserunning decisions" Maximum Rule. If you get a Single* result the "*" (which means that all baserunners advance just one base) is ignored and a more complex and realistic baserunning system is used.

COMPUTER ONLY RULES - Certain rules only appear in the computer version of the game -- no board game counterpart exists.
Maximum rule: Correct Board Game Excesses
EDIT
This option improves overall statistical accuracy by adjusting for minor variances that cannot be accounted for in the board game.

Turning on this option improves the statistical accuracy of certain players who had extreme performances. For instance certain pitchers such as Greg Maddux allow very few walks. Using this option will enable Maddux to duplicate his real-life dominance in this area. A number of categories are affected by this option including home runs, walks and strikeouts.[b] Also pitchers hitting will be affected by using this option, resulting in less walks and extra base hits by pitchers.[/b]

This option was split out from Improve statistical accuracy -- as part of the Version 10 release.


Charlie-
You know I was literally saying EXACTLY this before the WIKI ever existed -
and no one said the 'black box' was a random thing- WE all said it was part of the programming,
just that yourself and a few others constantly denied it.

also told you and others about the momentums/streaks features that were in the original computer sim game.
but no one hears it I guess until they are ready to listen. sigh...

BTW- am pretty certain ballpark doubles and triples are ON- although less willing to bet the farm on that.

Feel free to apologize anytime now...(not holding my breath)
Offline

scorehouse

  • Posts: 1222
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Ballpark Effects

PostThu May 26, 2022 12:09 pm

so is this good, bad, it all balances out,.....???
Offline

gkhd11a

  • Posts: 526
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Ballpark Effects

PostThu May 26, 2022 1:24 pm

Salty wrote:
gkhd11a wrote:Correct Board Game Excesses - This is a black box in which the game adjusts the ability of certain players to get certain stats.
So that people know that changing results is a feature not a bug: The dice displayed as the result is meaningless because they are not random, they are the result of a program deciding what dice to display.

For the long time Strat-O-Matic board game player the tradeoff is getting an improved game at the cost of a slight loss of game engine visibility.

So, just how is the game engine altered? Well, this depends upon the mix of Maximum Rules that are in play, but the game engine changes fall into one or more of the following categories:

DICE ADJUSTMENTS - Random numbers are used with a series of complex calculations to determine whether or not to override certain play results. If this determination is made another dice roll is made internally and the final play result is displayed on the screen. The on screen dice do not animate until the final play result has been determined.

SPLIT ADJUSTMENTS - Random numbers are used, again with a variety of calculations, to determine whether or not split card readings are to be overriden. The split result is not animated until a final determination is made of the play.

CARD ADJUSTMENTS - Certain portions of card results are overriden. For example, say you turn on the "More baserunning decisions" Maximum Rule. If you get a Single* result the "*" (which means that all baserunners advance just one base) is ignored and a more complex and realistic baserunning system is used.

COMPUTER ONLY RULES - Certain rules only appear in the computer version of the game -- no board game counterpart exists.
Maximum rule: Correct Board Game Excesses
EDIT
This option improves overall statistical accuracy by adjusting for minor variances that cannot be accounted for in the board game.

Turning on this option improves the statistical accuracy of certain players who had extreme performances. For instance certain pitchers such as Greg Maddux allow very few walks. Using this option will enable Maddux to duplicate his real-life dominance in this area. A number of categories are affected by this option including home runs, walks and strikeouts.[b] Also pitchers hitting will be affected by using this option, resulting in less walks and extra base hits by pitchers.[/b]

This option was split out from Improve statistical accuracy -- as part of the Version 10 release.


Charlie-
You know I was literally saying EXACTLY this before the WIKI ever existed -
and no one said the 'black box' was a random thing- WE all said it was part of the programming,
just that yourself and a few others constantly denied it.

also told you and others about the momentums/streaks features that were in the original computer sim game.
but no one hears it I guess until they are ready to listen. sigh...

BTW- am pretty certain ballpark doubles and triples are ON- although less willing to bet the farm on that.

Feel free to apologize anytime now...(not holding my breath)


The Wiki has existed over 10 years
Offline

gkhd11a

  • Posts: 526
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Ballpark Effects

PostThu May 26, 2022 1:26 pm

MaxPower wrote:Not sure why you're copy-pasting that section of the wiki but given how few people seem to have actually read the wiki, post away~


That is why, the rules have been out for years, noone reads them complains, and then recycle. Main reason is that people should realize the roll is not a random outcome, but the printed outcome of the computer program. To analyze if the program is not actually based on the random selection but instead changing things the way many seem to believe (make me lose in playoffs, injury my players after they get injured, momentum on losses, momentum on wins, you have to track against the real odds. Dice rolls are not actually dice rolls, they run a probabilty run, determine result and then print a dice roll to match the outcome.
Offline

egvrich

  • Posts: 1318
  • Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: Ballpark Effects

PostThu May 26, 2022 2:09 pm

I remember a long, long time ago, that there was a big hullabaloo about results in the computer football game and finally after a lot of complaining, Strat ADMITTED that there were in fact HIDDEN RE-ROLLS going on behind the scenes to pull the results within the expected norm or something along those lines.

The bottom line is that there is stuff going on and they have no intention of telling us what it is.
Offline

Salty

  • Posts: 1635
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Ballpark Effects

PostThu May 26, 2022 3:55 pm

gkhd11a wrote:
Salty wrote:
gkhd11a wrote:Correct Board Game Excesses - This is a black box in which the game adjusts the ability of certain players to get certain stats.
So that people know that changing results is a feature not a bug: The dice displayed as the result is meaningless because they are not random, they are the result of a program deciding what dice to display.

For the long time Strat-O-Matic board game player the tradeoff is getting an improved game at the cost of a slight loss of game engine visibility.

So, just how is the game engine altered? Well, this depends upon the mix of Maximum Rules that are in play, but the game engine changes fall into one or more of the following categories:

DICE ADJUSTMENTS - Random numbers are used with a series of complex calculations to determine whether or not to override certain play results. If this determination is made another dice roll is made internally and the final play result is displayed on the screen. The on screen dice do not animate until the final play result has been determined.

SPLIT ADJUSTMENTS - Random numbers are used, again with a variety of calculations, to determine whether or not split card readings are to be overriden. The split result is not animated until a final determination is made of the play.

CARD ADJUSTMENTS - Certain portions of card results are overriden. For example, say you turn on the "More baserunning decisions" Maximum Rule. If you get a Single* result the "*" (which means that all baserunners advance just one base) is ignored and a more complex and realistic baserunning system is used.

COMPUTER ONLY RULES - Certain rules only appear in the computer version of the game -- no board game counterpart exists.
Maximum rule: Correct Board Game Excesses
EDIT
This option improves overall statistical accuracy by adjusting for minor variances that cannot be accounted for in the board game.

Turning on this option improves the statistical accuracy of certain players who had extreme performances. For instance certain pitchers such as Greg Maddux allow very few walks. Using this option will enable Maddux to duplicate his real-life dominance in this area. A number of categories are affected by this option including home runs, walks and strikeouts.[b] Also pitchers hitting will be affected by using this option, resulting in less walks and extra base hits by pitchers.[/b]

This option was split out from Improve statistical accuracy -- as part of the Version 10 release.


Charlie-
You know I was literally saying EXACTLY this before the WIKI ever existed -
and no one said the 'black box' was a random thing- WE all said it was part of the programming,
just that yourself and a few others constantly denied it.

also told you and others about the momentums/streaks features that were in the original computer sim game.
but no one hears it I guess until they are ready to listen. sigh...

BTW- am pretty certain ballpark doubles and triples are ON- although less willing to bet the farm on that.

Feel free to apologize anytime now...(not holding my breath)


The Wiki has existed over 10 years


Umm yes charlie - and its been even more since I started explaining this-
guess it just takes a very very long time for people to pay attention :? :?
Offline

MaxPower

  • Posts: 470
  • Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:12 am

Re: Ballpark Effects

PostThu May 26, 2022 4:56 pm

Salty wrote:BTW- am pretty certain ballpark doubles and triples are ON- although less willing to bet the farm on that.

You are "pretty certain" Strat is lying about this setting being turned off? Why on earth would they do that? Even when this setting is on in the Windows game, it is only operative in AL and NL parks. So are you "pretty certain" that this setting is operative in 365 for all the parks except the Negro League parks, which never had 2B/3B factors to begin with? Please tell us more about why Strat is lying about this random setting.
Offline

Salty

  • Posts: 1635
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Ballpark Effects

PostThu May 26, 2022 5:46 pm

MaxPower wrote:
Salty wrote:BTW- am pretty certain ballpark doubles and triples are ON- although less willing to bet the farm on that.

You are "pretty certain" Strat is lying about this setting being turned off? Why on earth would they do that? Even when this setting is on in the Windows game, it is only operative in AL and NL parks. So are you "pretty certain" that this setting is operative in 365 for all the parks except the Negro League parks, which never had 2B/3B factors to begin with? Please tell us more about why Strat is lying about this random setting.


What an excellent question-
maybe you should ask folks' like Nev how many times since he's been here we've found out that settings they claimed were not on were and vice versa?
Hint, the answer is not zero, one, two, three, four etc.
As to 'why'- my guess is they didn't bother to check whats on and whats not- until there was a larger demand from the flock and some took further steps to try and prove it.
Offline

djmacb

  • Posts: 303
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:43 pm

Re: Ballpark Effects

PostThu May 26, 2022 6:07 pm

Salty wrote:
MaxPower wrote:
Salty wrote:BTW- am pretty certain ballpark doubles and triples are ON- although less willing to bet the farm on that.

You are "pretty certain" Strat is lying about this setting being turned off? Why on earth would they do that? Even when this setting is on in the Windows game, it is only operative in AL and NL parks. So are you "pretty certain" that this setting is operative in 365 for all the parks except the Negro League parks, which never had 2B/3B factors to begin with? Please tell us more about why Strat is lying about this random setting.


What an excellent question-
maybe you should ask folks' like Nev how many times since he's been here we've found out that settings they claimed were not on were and vice versa?
Hint, the answer is not zero, one, two, three, four etc.
As to 'why'- my guess is they didn't bother to check whats on and whats not- until there was a larger demand from the flock and some took further steps to try and prove it.

“further steps to try and prove it”

Like anecdotal posts on an Internet board? A high bar indeed.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests