Ballpark Effects

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

MaxPower

Re: Ballpark Effects

PostFri May 27, 2022 7:44 am

You clearly are not comprehending...really anything that I'm saying. At this point there are two possibilities to explain why you are persisting with the "copying teams" thing: either you're saying it because you think it bothers me, or you're just not bright enough to understand the process I'm describing. In either case, there's no point in my continuing to engage you on the topic.

Salty

PostFri May 27, 2022 8:38 am

MaxPower wrote:You clearly are not comprehending...really anything that I'm saying. At this point there are two possibilities to explain why you are persisting with the "copying teams" thing: either you're saying it because you think it bothers me, or you're just not bright enough to understand the process I'm describing. In either case, there's no point in my continuing to engage you on the topic.

Whats the difference between data scraping and signal stealing?

Its just using data/info 'found and accessed' in a way that others don't.
Isn't that exactly what the Astros did?
they found data in the way other teams played and used it in a way that gave them an advantage.

Nothing to see here...move along...move along.

Maybe its bc Im not 'bright' enough to understand the process of how that data was used. ;) ;) ;)

and PS- I can see why you love doing this stuff- your brain relies on the parameters that have been set up by others so that you can work safely within a closed system of data. Sigh...

Just remember Jerry, its not a lie if YOU believe it.

MaxPower

PostFri May 27, 2022 9:15 am

Here I was starting to wonder about the origins of your increasingly deranged posting, turns out you're apparently just another Astros fan in the throes of public psychodrama.

Salty wrote:Maybe its bc Im not 'bright' enough to understand the process of how that data was used. ;) ;) ;)

I mean, are you though, Salty? If I tell you (again) that the primary purpose of the scraped data was to customize my wOBA coefficients, would you be able to process that? Or would you just come back with more "lol copying teams." Which, by the way, is hilarious to even think that "copying teams" is a viable strategy for winning consistently. It's literally the strategy of last resort for desperate people with little understanding of the game engine, which, come to think of it, might be why you're so fixated on it.

Salty

PostFri May 27, 2022 9:56 am

MaxPower wrote:Here I was starting to wonder about the origins of your increasingly deranged posting, turns out you're apparently just another Astros fan in the throes of public psychodrama.

Salty wrote:Maybe its bc Im not 'bright' enough to understand the process of how that data was used. ;) ;) ;)

I mean, are you though, Salty? If I tell you (again) that the primary purpose of the scraped data was to customize my wOBA coefficients, would you be able to process that? Or would you just come back with more "lol copying teams." Which, by the way, is hilarious to even think that "copying teams" is a viable strategy for winning consistently. It's literally the strategy of last resort for desperate people with little understanding of the game engine, which, come to think of it, might be why you're so fixated on it.

YOU DONT UNDERSTAND HOW and WHAT I USE THE STEROIDS to do! I use it to get more REPS in, not when I actually play :? :? :? :roll:

So much wrong with this mentality...
also - 1)since I can't possibly be wrong about data scraping being unethical
then
a) he must be deranged
b) hes doing it to make me feel discomfort

No other possibilities exist...

nevdully's

PostFri May 27, 2022 2:11 pm

SOM absolutely did not, and does, not want things like finding back door ways to see which stadium your opponents are playing in before entering your team in a particular league. They've said so directly...prompted by the outrage initiated by the community as a whole, complaining about exploiting that loophole.

SO...

I'm sure no one (or noone for my bestie Charlie) wants their draft cards hacked so someone can see where players are usually listed, to gain another unethical advantage.

AND...

Maybe they'll be a circumstance where, let's say, you just want to scrape Salty's usual draft order...to gain a huge advantage when going head to head.

Max, you seem like a nice enough guy, that subscribes to the "if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin" theory of sportsmanship. I wouldn't run from you bc I like a challenge, but definitely not the kind of character I want or root for here.

nevdully's

PostFri May 27, 2022 2:14 pm

Max...you asked a question of me last night...and I answered but you mighta missed it, so I was curious about your thoughts on this...

Max...if you were told repeatedly for "X" years the original rules written were what was in play....when in fact they absolutely were not (not even close)...would you believe, with certainty, that the wiki pages are full disclosure? I do believe they take huge steps to understanding the game much better...but nope...I don't think that's all there is to it.

And that doesn't even begin to take into account all the unknowns and bugs Bernie uncovered when looking into just one aspect of the game's code.

FWIW.... I was reading a post about two weeks ago, from years back, from Charlie, claiming he believed SOM were replaying games to give Bruce (Petrsosian, Last Druid) a few extra wins to keep his big ego in check and his mouth shut...Charlie said he believed it, and it would be easy to do...Ya can look it up...so where on the wiki pages does it account for that Chuck???

egvrich

PostFri May 27, 2022 4:42 pm

MaxPower wrote:
egvrich wrote:Strat ADMITTED that there were in fact HIDDEN RE-ROLLS going on behind the scenes to pull the results within the expected norm or something along those lines.

The bottom line is that there is stuff going on and they have no intention of telling us what it is.

It would be great if the play-by-play documented when a max rule intervened.

Hey, at least I can agree with ONE sentence of his response to my post.

jet40

PostFri May 27, 2022 7:21 pm

My observations and opinions of Strat through the years.
Years ago I drafted Robin Younts expensive card every chance I got. I usually played some sort of Hitters/ Home run park. What I noticed was Younts doubles and triples were down in Polo '34 compared to Fenway '67 based on 700 plate appearances. This was based on a small sample size, though I did mention it to a couple of my friends that play Strat. Then, not sure who started it, someone else mentioned unexplained things on the message boards. I read the thread and agreed, there was some things that didn't make sense. Then one of my friends mentioned Diamond Dope, and the fact they did actuals. So I did a little research and sure enough, Polo '34 was great for HR's, but doubles and triples will suffer. I believe, and someone with a greater memory can chime in, Strat admitted that ball park effects (hidden from us) also effected doubles and triples. They claim to have turned it off.
Since then, I have not noticed anything out of the normal in my above example, though I sure wish they would explain what 'home field' advantage is.
As far as hidden 'black boxes' there vary well may be, but personally I believe not much would change if we knew them.
Twenty years ago I would have cared, but today's John just wants to enjoy the game for what it is, a very good simulation but not perfect.

John

djmacb

PostFri May 27, 2022 7:54 pm

jet40 wrote:My observations and opinions of Strat through the years.
Years ago I drafted Robin Younts expensive card every chance I got. I usually played some sort of Hitters/ Home run park. What I noticed was Younts doubles and triples were down in Polo '34 compared to Fenway '67 based on 700 plate appearances. This was based on a small sample size, though I did mention it to a couple of my friends that play Strat. Then, not sure who started it, someone else mentioned unexplained things on the message boards. I read the thread and agreed, there was some things that didn't make sense. Then one of my friends mentioned Diamond Dope, and the fact they did actuals. So I did a little research and sure enough, Polo '34 was great for HR's, but doubles and triples will suffer. I believe, and someone with a greater memory can chime in, Strat admitted that ball park effects (hidden from us) also effected doubles and triples. They claim to have turned it off.
Since then, I have not noticed anything out of the normal in my above example, though I sure wish they would explain what 'home field' advantage is.
As far as hidden 'black boxes' there vary well may be, but personally I believe not much would change if we knew them.
Twenty years ago I would have cared, but today's John just wants to enjoy the game for what it is, a very good simulation but not perfect.

John

John, my memory on this is the same as yours. I believe the actuals were started not by Adrian with Diamond Dope, but by someone named Bill - I can't remember his handle, but if I remember right he worked with Nev and others on Bullpen V2.0. - Bill shared his "data scraping" with the community and it clearly indicated that ballpark doubles/triples were on. Adrian subsequently incorporated actuals into Diamond Dope. This is an excellent example of using data to prove an assertion.

MaxPower

PostFri May 27, 2022 8:06 pm

Salty wrote:So much wrong with this mentality...
also - 1)since I can't possibly be wrong about data scraping being unethical
then
a) he must be deranged
b) hes doing it to make me feel discomfort

No other possibilities exist...

Actually I've landed on (c) you and nev have essentially no comprehension of what data scraping even is, let alone the role it plays in my system.

As a new player, I was curious about how many runs per game were scored on average at various caps. By your logic, it would be unethical for me to examine any pre-existing league to determine the answer to that question. That is obviously stupid and wrong, to the point where I doubt even you believe it. But that is the argument you are making, so I have no choice but to believe you are either making it in bad faith or just don't understand what scraping entails. Or both. I'm not sure which it is and don't particularly care. nev I'm pretty sure is just confused.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats