We have lost "The Last Druid"

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

FrankieT

Re: We have lost "The Last Druid"

PostSun Jan 30, 2022 1:40 am

indeed salty. his youngest pup, rhett i believe, is likely lost without him.
steve—love that first quote. classic depth of sarcasm :)
yes I think we all experienced it once or another.

in a recent league, someone who had a rough stretch with their team at the early part of the season announced they were making some bold moves. bruce responded “good thing you’re not impulsive”

anyway, you put it well. i miss his correspondence on all things. even if it was a verbal lashing.

BC15NY

PostSun Jan 30, 2022 1:22 pm

As Bruce liked to say, he was "an acquired taste". That's what made him so entertaining.

Like Wyatt Earp told Morgan Earp in Tombstone about Doc Holliday, "It's just his style Morg. He doesn't mean anything".

FrankieT

PostSun Jan 30, 2022 8:09 pm

haha. you guys had your own language consisting of movie quotes.

dougvantyle

PostSun Jan 30, 2022 8:17 pm

Thank you for your poignant comments about Bruce. I wish I had known him better. From a distance, I really did look up to Bruce quite a bit, especially in the standings, tee hee... Some have mentioned a 114 cap league in honor of Bruce. That works for me. I can get it started, but was thinking some of you who knew him better would like to create it... dvt

PATRICKCASSIDY

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 6:50 pm

condolences to family and friends

Minoso Express

PostTue Feb 01, 2022 4:44 pm

Haven't been around these boards or the game for some months. The shock of discovering the loss of online Strat's pre-eminent member is probably going to drive me right back off line. Condolences to his loved ones and to all who loved him.

Danchiacchia

PostThu Feb 03, 2022 10:48 am

FrankieT wrote:indeed salty. his youngest pup, rhett i believe, is likely lost without him.
steve—love that first quote. classic depth of sarcasm :)
yes I think we all experienced it once or another.

in a recent league, someone who had a rough stretch with their team at the early part of the season announced they were making some bold moves. bruce responded “good thing you’re not impulsive”

anyway, you put it well. i miss his correspondence on all things. even if it was a verbal lashing.

This made me laugh--I have been impulsive once or twice on here (and it is never a good plan haha0. Sometimes it's just boredom and not having the patience to wait for the "math" of the cards to even out. I have always been very impressed with how willing people are to offer advice in a non-patronizing way. Until this happened with him, I got some of the names of the long term players confused, but I feel pretty sure he helped me out somewhere along the way.

dyork56

PostThu Feb 03, 2022 12:46 pm

Wow. Just wow. :cry:

Dad and I (the owner of dyork56--he and I decided to just share a username to save money as I was a broke college student. My original name was mikesblues, way back in 2003) haven't been on in quite some time. We just didn't have the time, it seemed. We always appreciated the advice TLD would provide--even if he was in the same league/division. Did he occasionally rub folks the wrong way? Sure. We all did. We all love this game and the folks within the tight-knit community. We grew to know each other through these boards and through our battles. It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that he's gone.

Man.

Egnaro

PostThu Feb 03, 2022 9:10 pm

STEVE F wrote:The draft chat section was the most fun part of that draft. The topics covered ran the gammit, from Strat to politics to psychology, chess etc. That may have been the most fun I've ever had in a draft.

That Chat section was quite "something" and definitely had its moments.

I am in an active league right now with one of The Last Druid's teams. We did a 190m Live draft on December 30, 2021 with games starting January 1. I kind of groaned when I saw I was in The Last Druid's division. Right now going into tonight's gamed I have a perfectly respectable 57-42 record. Of course I am still 8 games out of first behind The Wrong Stuff (with a 65-34 record). I am set to play The Wrong Stuff tonight, so the gap is probably going to get bigger.

My condolences to his family. He was definitely one of those guys that proved that while there is random elements to this game, skilled players can win consistently.

Ruths ruffians

PostThu Feb 03, 2022 9:45 pm

My sincere condolences.

Rest In Peace.

Dean.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats