We have lost "The Last Druid"

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

pacoboy

Re: We have lost "The Last Druid"

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 2:27 pm

I'm in shock.

....never knew he grew up in my home town either.

Very sad :(

Hack Wilson

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 2:34 pm

"Keeping with the Jan 14th theme.....114 million cap?"

Excellent idea.

mighty moose

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 2:46 pm

DOHowser1 wrote:In a recent league, I had sent Bruce a quick message wishing him the best of luck in the finals, game 7. BTW he did win game 7 and another championship.

Beow is a copy of his reply back to me, on January 10th.

Got sick today. 100.9 Fever. I'm using Dr Zeb Zelenko's treatment protocol. Assume it's Coco. Well see how that goes.

Thanks for the support, May not find out the results until tomorrow. Can barely sit up.

Thanks for passing that on Doug. I get shivers reading that. Just bone chilling......

sjudd

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 2:55 pm

RIP Bruce, you were a force.

egvrich

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 4:13 pm

nomadbrad wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:Let's do a "The Amazing Bruce Steffek Memorial League." I can set it up. Thoughts on:

DH or no
Salary Cap?
24 teams?

Keeping with the Jan 14th theme.....114 million cap?

I think Petro would like that. Suggesting 24 teams so more can join and DH. But if others think he'd prefer non-DH, please let it be known.

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 4:49 pm

Such sad news , His accomplishments in this game of ours are other worldly , but what he brought to this community was even greater. For over 20 years we have been lucky to be a small part of his orbit. I always looked forward to his post, his opinions and yes his arrogance. He never retreated and argued like master chess player that he was. I know is Bruce started a league or was in one I always wanted in too. RIP Bruce , God be with you and your family.

stevea47

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 5:09 pm

I was always pleased to enter leagues where he was a competitor. Great competition, interesting commentary, and enlightening. I will miss that.

chaberlal

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 5:12 pm

Baseball 365 has lost its most illustrious and one of its most decorated players...

He was a fierce opponent... my greatest nemesis...

In one of his latest titles... I faced him in the semi-finals... despite starting the series on the road, I jumped to a 3-0 lead... well yeah... you know the ending... the Druid won 4 straight and won the finals 4-3 also...

He was rough and tough but genuine and offered great and generous advice whenever his help and wisdom were seeked...

I'll sorely miss him... but then again... won't we all...

RIP DRUID...

chaberlal

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 5:18 pm

I have a suggestion to make...

You all know that Bruce's team, The Wrong Stuff, is already qualified for this year's Barnstormers Finals...

Since Hack Wilson was one of Bruce's closest friend here, if not the closest one, I suggest that Hack be chosen to finish the job and honor Bruce's memory...

What do you all think...

dougvantyle

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 5:32 pm

Hack Wilson wrote:Let's do a "The Amazing Bruce Steffek Memorial League." I can set it up. Thoughts on:

DH or no
Salary Cap?
24 teams?

A true giant. I didn't know him well, but I remember one of his last rants. He was way ahead of his time. Not surprised about his passion for chess. He always seemed several steps ahead... I'm in if there's room, but I imagine we will need more than one memorial league for Bruce. I have an idea as well...

dvt
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats