20 game winners

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

coachprbb

20 game winners

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 3:35 pm

just had a team finish the regular season with pitchers winning 23, 25 and 24 games and one losing 24...probably not as uncommon as I would think...team did win 95 games though.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/sim/1655331

FrankieT

Re: 20 game winners

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 9:52 pm

Congrats coach. I have to say--with some exceptions on offense, I wouldn't think of using most of those pitchers in Hilltop.
It depends on your division too, but maybe I need to give a second look to a different strategy.

I'm particularly surprised that Miljus' salary vs IP didn't show more of a drag on performance, ie that's probably a couple million $ of value not exploited. Maybe because the rest of the bullpen were 50-centers who didn't do much damage--so well done there.

And then on offense, I usually have 1-3 OBP/natural XBH lefties or switchies, depending on division. Interesting team.
cheers

coachprbb

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 12:42 pm

I am curious...(would like to learn more) about why you wouldn't use those guys at Hilltop....only Johnson gives up any BPH and they are only on 2's...and the pretty colors on the bottom say all 3 except Cummings give up on base about 10%....what am I missing here? Please understand I am trying to learn from you guys, not challenging your opinions...I really have not put as much into learning about the pitching side and mostly use the graphs on the bottom to make my decisions on players. Any thoughts and opinions would be helpful, as I know I have so much to learn from guys with experience.

Coach

coachprbb

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 12:49 pm

Offensively, better balance would probably be helpful, my strategy with Hilltop and Navin so far seems to be to be to get a bunch of RH power hitters and let loose the cannons

chaberlal

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 4:11 pm

Mind you coach... Cummings had it rough... he got only 201 run support whereas your 3 other 20 game winners got 280. 258 and 243...

No Candy for him ... lol...

FrankieT

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 8:06 am

Well…i am not portraying this as some kind of special approach, just my opinion. For me, it is about value.

Pitchers:
No bp singles on the left but bp hrs.
No bp hrs on the right.

Prototype is seaver top card. Tailor made for hilltop. You can find similar guys with that model.
Nothing wrong with your guys, but not optimized for value IMO if the only consideration is home park—which is never really the case.

For instance, why pay for the lack of LH bp hrs? Id much rather pay for no bp singles on the left side and get a card that is discounted for LH bp hrs.

Hitters:
For on base guys, why put another RHB out there with power leading off? Similarly, if using a RHB as a leadoff table setter who doesnt have bp hrs then why bother, as in why add to your RH vulnerability if the guy doesn't have power? So a lefty at leadoff and maybe a mid order high clutch guy with natural power, and potentially a bottom order lefty who has high obp depending on parks and pitchers of opponents. The mid order clutch lefty is so that you don't get your big boppers in front of him intentionally walked, but still have a decent LH bat sprinkled around to at least give HAL some fits instead of facing Tekulve-types for 3 innings. That's why I love Hilltop--can be challenging but a well constructed team can be a powerhouse.

Consider:
1. You make it easier for opponents to hard righty or severe reverse lefty you to death.
2. At leadoff, maximize the mitigation against facing the pitchers in item 1 by leading off with a lefty who will maximize on base chances for the mashers, especially a guy who can hang in against LHPs with N power.
Of course if you dont mind paying for solo HRs and your opponents didn’t target your vulnerability, then i guess thats a personal preference.

Like i said, does depend on division and league. But i dont see optimized value on the pitching staff IMO but that can be ok depending on the league.

coachprbb

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 3:56 pm

I thank you for your help, your input is greatly apprecated

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats