POLL ... Shouldn't EVERY Hall of Famer have a card?

Moderator: Palmtana

Should Every Baseball Hall Of Famer Have A Card In The ATG Set?

YES
89%
NO
11%

Total votes : 46

• Author

egvrich

POLL ... Shouldn't EVERY Hall of Famer have a card?

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 12:07 pm

The game is called All Time Greats (I know, it was originally supposed to be all time great TEAMS), shouldn't every single player in the Baseball Hall of Fame have a card???

honestiago

Re: POLL ... Shouldn't EVERY Hall of Famer have a card?

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 12:15 pm

That makes sense.

And all time great teams would be cool, as well.:-)

egvrich

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 12:20 pm

Just did some quick checking: Cobb, Ruth, Bonds, Mays, T.Williams, N.Ryan, Clemens = 5 cards each (plenty more probably).

Hank Aaron = 6 cards.

I think enough of adding guys with that many cards already and time to add guys who have zero cards.

FRANKMANSUETO

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 12:27 pm

egvrich:
Just did some quick checking: Cobb, Ruth, Bonds, Mays, T.Williams, N.Ryan, Clemens = 5 cards each (plenty more probably).

Hank Aaron = 6 cards.

I think enough of adding guys with that many cards already and time to add guys who have zero cards.

Could not agree more. Growing tired of the process with the same player who has multiple cards being nominated. Would like a NO player ONLY nomination at least one time.

djp_77

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 2:37 pm

Maybe I am missing someone but isn't Deacon White the only player in the Hall of Fame that doesn't have a card?

egvrich

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 2:54 pm

djp_77 wrote:Maybe I am missing someone but isn't Deacon White the only player in the Hall of Fame that doesn't have a card?

LOL, well, if he is this officially qualifies as the Least Necessary Poll in ATG Boards history.

And frankly, I'm too lazy to check.

egvrich

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 3:08 pm

Okay, now I had to check and found these:

Frank Grant - No card
Tommy McCarthy - Has a sub 1.00 mill card only
Jim O'Rourke - Has a 1.00 mill card only
John Ward - Has a sub 1.00 mill card only
Deacon White - No card

So, yeah, you were largely correct.

Hack Wilson

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 8:41 pm

And, how many cards does Mark McGwire have? 6!! And he won't even get in the Hall of Fame.

Hack Wilson

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 8:57 pm

Will say, however, the correlation between being a Hall of Famer in MLB and an "All-Time Great" in Strat-o-Matic terms -- or most baseball fans -- is quite imperfect. (The game includes many cheap players, to begin with, right? Necessary and good for platoons, salary caps etc. So the premise behind the name of this game is wrong to begin with.)

Moreover, some guys got elected to the HOF who weren't exactly HOF material. Take Tommy McCarthy, cited above -- a career OPS of 102, relatively average ballplayer. And, during the '70s, Frankie Frisch had a lot of influence on the HOF voting and got a lot of his players and buddies in (Jessie Haines etc. -- see http://www.espn.com/mlb/hof00/s/worst.html

Neyer: "Frisch dominated the Veterans Committee, and in addition to arguing for his old Giants teammates, he also lobbied for his old Cardinals teammates, the aforementioned Hafey and Haines. If you want to blame one person for the relatively low standards of the Hall of Fame, then Frankie Frisch is your man."

And in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_Committee: "After the committee selected Haines, Frisch commented that Haines was "a worthy, worthy man... a great competitor, a fine fellow off and on the field."[5] Sabermetrician Bill James has listed Haines as one of ten examples of Hall of Fame inductees who do not deserve the honor.[10]"

That said, i voted for more HOF cards, as I'm of course am always in favor of expanding the player pool. But i think we really need a bunch of interesting not-so-great cheaper players, too. Match-ups!

STEVE F

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 10:11 pm

I know it's been said before , but we need a LOT more bench options in the .65 cent and under range
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats