Outrageously overpriced!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Radagast Brown

Outrageously overpriced!

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 1:57 pm

These guys are not just overpriced, they are outrageously overpriced.

1. Coco Crisp 4.46

2. John McDonald 2.85

Both these players are at least twice as much as they should cost.
In McDonald's case you can find a similar card, Ozzie Guillen for about a third of the price.

In Coco Crisp's case you can get a much better Cool Papa Bell for cheaper and similar players to Crisp for about half that amount.

These are just two examples of players that I like a lot that are horribly overpriced.

Does anyone else have examples of horribly overpriced players ?

Radagast Brown

Re: Outrageously overpriced!

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 2:15 pm

The $.99 Ozzie Guillen is about the same as the $2.85 million McDonald card. Guillen is a bigger threat to steal, has a slightly better OBP and a similar OPS. Also Guillen is more evenly balanced.And they both have a range rating of 1at SS.

There's no reason McDonald should cost three times as much. McDonald is actually cheaper in the 2007 set ( same card) than he is in ATG9, and that is absolutely unheard of with any other player.

Strat-O-Matic needs some quality control. This would literally take 5 minutes to fix.

Radagast Brown

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 2:27 pm

The 1999 Kenny Lofton is cheaper than Coco Crisp. Lofton is a CF 1 e11 (-1) . Crisp is a CF 2 e0 (+2).

That's where the similarities end. Lofton slashed .317/.372/.446. Crisp is .261/.345/.444... ... That's almost 30 extra points of OBP and OPS.

Furthermore, Lofton is totally bullet proof and he stole 75 bases to Crisp's 21 SB.

Crisp can get hurt for 15 games. Lofton won't miss a single game.

Lofton is slightly cheaper. Crisp is way overpriced, which obviously makes his card useless.

There's no point in adding cards or players if they are priced so poorly, no one would use them.

childsmwc

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 6:58 pm

On your comparison of Lofton and Crisp, the stat lines mean nothing once it is converted into a strat card. Did you actually look at the right side of that 4R Crisp card? It has a higher OBP than the Lofton card you are comparing it to and it happens to have 8 BP HR chances along with real natural power on the card. That Crisp card in a neutral park will probably produce 100 OPS more from the right side than Lofton. So if I am playing in a hitters park there is really no comparison in favor of Crisp.

Obviously Crisp is going to be much more sensitive to your pitchers mix and ballpark mix than Lofton might be, but that doesn't make the card overpriced or unusable. I would definitely give that Crisp card a look in a $60M cap league playing in a hitters park.

The main issue is that there are so many cards in ATG, that the likelihood that any $4M card gets used often is slim (unless it is exceptionally tailored to a specific park/strategy).

egvrich

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 10:39 pm

Also the 4R slant makes him more expensive as well, all players that lean to hitting better off of RHP's are higher priced.

Radagast Brown

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 2:17 pm

If you are saying Crisp is a better value in ANY park , under ANY circumstance, I completely disagree.

There is absolutely no situation where that card is a good or even average value.

Radagast Brown

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 2:29 pm

Okay, now compare that Coco Crisp card versus:

1982 Fred Lynn
2007 Curtis Granderson
1977 Bake McBride
NeL Hurley McNair
1999 Doug Glanville

I could name a half a dozen more that are much better values...

Last question, Do YOU actually use that Coco Crisp card?

Seriously, you have got to be kidding if you think that card is priced right.

I know a lot of people don't like me, and some people just like to argue or debate. But please, have at it. ... Is that Crisp card a better value than ANY of the above cards?

Furthermore, my point is about VALUE, I can not stress this enough. ... And if you are platooning Crisp you obviously have to pay for a CF to start against LHP.

So again, are you actually suggesting that the Crisp card is priced right?????

Because maybe he can do better than Lofton vs righties in some situation ( maybe.. I don't see it) but then what do you do when you face a lefty SP??!

I won't hold my breath for a cogent response making the case for Crisp being priced right because that argument doesn't exist.

Radagast Brown

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 2:34 pm

1986 Lenny Dykstra
2005 Grady Sizemore

I think I could probably name 20 more guys who are a better value by at least a mile.

Radagast Brown

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 2:38 pm

Cool Papa Bell

I mean just look at all the CFers. Basically anyone who is at least a CF-2 and at least 2R or better just blows that Crisp card away by a mile.

I can't believe anyone is seriously trying to debate this point.

Also, who out there has actually USED that CRISP card??

Unless it is a COCO CRISP THEME LEAGUE anyone who is using that card doesn't have a clue what they are doing.

Radagast Brown

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 2:41 pm

childsmwc wrote:On your comparison of Lofton and Crisp, the stat lines mean nothing once it is converted into a strat card. Did you actually look at the right side of that 4R Crisp card? It has a higher OBP than the Lofton card you are comparing it to and it happens to have 8 BP HR chances along with real natural power on the card. That Crisp card in a neutral park will probably produce 100 OPS more from the right side than Lofton. So if I am playing in a hitters park there is really no comparison in favor of Crisp.

Obviously Crisp is going to be much more sensitive to your pitchers mix and ballpark mix than Lofton might be, but that doesn't make the card overpriced or unusable. I would definitely give that Crisp card a look in a $60M cap league playing in a hitters park.

The main issue is that there are so many cards in ATG, that the likelihood that any $4M card gets used often is slim (unless it is exceptionally tailored to a specific park/strategy).

Wait, what? The main issue is what now? People don't use 4 million dollar cards? That's your argument???

Plenty of people play in 80-100 million leagues, in fact some of us ONLY play in lower cap leagues.

My point is about value and pricing. What is your point?

Last question, HAVE YOU EVER USED THAT CARD?
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats